rust removal and coating factory torque boxes....

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by nickmav70, Aug 31, 2011.

1. nickmav70

nickmav70 Nick Maverick

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
    hi everyone....

my front torque boxes are pretty solid but i wanna go ahead and clean off any surface rust that might be in the inside of them and coat them with a good chassis paint... any suggestions on how to remove the rust that has already formed on the inside of them without cutting them up? any kind of metal wash that can be sprayed inside to break it down and then rinsed out and painted over?

id really like to do some prevention now to avoid these things gettin the rot like our cars seem to do alot lol

my cowl rings are just starting to rot so ill be pulling the cowl soon to fix them and im going to strip the floor pans and coat them as well as redo the seam sealer... my factory seam sealer can literally be pulled off with a shop vac just like the factory sound deadener

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    On the outside, I've found a wire brush cup on an angle grinder, followed by 2 coats of Rust Bullet (they now make it in a black color), to be the best anti-rust frame coating.

(y)

On the inside of the frame, where you can't reach with a wire brush, Eastwood makes a spray coating that has a small hose attached to the can that lets you coat all those hidden areas. Very cool stuff to work with.

Go to this Eastwood link and see some pictures and watch the video.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

:thumbs2: