Rust Removers

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rosalindr, Aug 9, 2006.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    Does anyone have any recommendations or preferences for rust removal products? I have a little rust in the inside rear wells from inside the trunk (not sure if that's the right name for them). I'd like to stop it before it gets worse. So far it appears to be on the surface only.

I have a catalog from Eastwood with several rust prevention products. Has anyone used any of these? I need something that will be easy for me to apply, quick to work, and leave little mess. Will a spray can be enough, or do I need to brush it on? Any advice will be appreciated.

Please provide a link or store where I can buy it.

Roz

2. Comick76

Comick76 Grease Monkey

Vehicle:
    76 Comet
    I've only used the stinky and messy stuff. But I keep hearing about POR-15 from everyone that does body work around here. Someday I'll try some.

3. Fordmaster169

Fordmaster169 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 MavPro Street Project, 1972 F-100 stepside 4X4, 2015 F150 4X4, 2ea 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab step sides
    POR-15 all the way. That stuff is amazing. Some prep is in order but if you do it like they say you will never have to worry about it again. Check out thier web site. They sell some starter kits reasonable so you can try it before you invest a load of money.

Don

4. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tip. The POR-15 starter kit is only $16.50, so it's worth a try.

Roz

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    "RUST BULLIT" :yup:

6. superlead76

superlead76 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 347!
    Rust Bullet works great!

7. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    What is Rust Bullet and where can I get it? :huh: Or is that just another name for POR-15?

Roz

8. MissMaverick

MissMaverick Just a girl who luvs Mavs

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber, 1977 Maverick
    The web site is www.rustbullet.com
    Looks like something I may need to try.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  9. craigs mav

craigs mav Member

Vehicle:
    1975 chevy el camino
    go to autozone and but navel jelly rust remover i had bad rust in the same spot and dont have anymore now

10. Comick76

Comick76 Grease Monkey

Vehicle:
    76 Comet
    That was the stinky, messy stuff I have used. Works good but don't get it on anything that doesn't need painted.

11. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Rust Bullet looks good and it's less than $10 for a small can.

Roz

12. craigs mav

craigs mav Member

Vehicle:
    1975 chevy el camino
    well all i care about is the rust is gone and it was stinky. but inhale the fumes lol and it was only 5.49 including tax

13. |MaverickMat|

|MaverickMat| '74 Grabber

Vehicle:
    1974 Grabber
    Be careful when you use POR-15. I agree, it is a great product, and turns out looking very professional (all brush strokes vanish), but it must be applied correctly!!! I used it on my engine compartment, and let the metal ready pre-paint prep sit too long. The paint wound up peeling off and I spent three days getting it back to bare metal to repaint. I'll use it again, and I recomend it, but make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. If you do, the paint will bind with the rust and seal it in.

If you want something that's slap and go, I've heard that rust bullet is easier to apply because there is less prep work. I'd give that a try and see how it goes, especially if you want to avoid stinky and complicated (POR-15 can get a little involved). If you can just scrub with a degreaser and paint, that'd be the way to go. Hope that helps...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  14. ladyeclectic79

ladyeclectic79 Veni, vidi, vici

Vehicle:
    A '73 and a '70 Maverick
    For any kind of rust-stopping primer, do you need to sand all the way to the metal or can you apply over any current paint? I've got just a few places on my car's body so far that I'd like to add some anti-rust to (mostly the hood as that's one of the few places I know isn't all bondo or whatnot), but what kind of prep do you need to do to begin body work like that?

15. |MaverickMat|

|MaverickMat| '74 Grabber

Vehicle:
    1974 Grabber
    Well, body work is a pretty big can of worms to open, especially if you're doing it in an obvious place. If you have rust on the exterior portion of your car, then the type of fixing that you'll do is dependant on how bad the rust is, and how long you want your repair job to last.

As for rust inhibiting paint, if you don't sand down to bare metal, it won't bond with the rust and permanently stop it. You'll seal it in, and slow the process down, but you won't prevent it from spreading. If you want the best rust inhibition out of your paint, it's probably best to grind most of the paint off and apply directly to the rust. POR-15 does pretty good on if you apply it to a previous painted surface, just scuff with 400 grit sandpaper, clean/degrease, then paint. But again, you won't stop the rust completely. And be careful where you paint, because if you're painting on an obvious place (unless looks aren't a high priority; I know they aren't for me at the moment, I'd just be happy if I could drive my Mav :drive:) a rust inhibiting paint may not be your best bet. It just depends on the severity of the rust and the amount of effort you plan on expending.