Rust spots and bare spots

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rosalindr, Sep 14, 2005.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    My new 1973 Grabber has some small rust spots between the roof and the windshield, and a few other places where chome and paint meet. How can I keep these from spreading? They don't seem very serious, but I've read several threads singing the praises of rust-free cars. How bad is a little bit of rust?

Also the car has several small paintless patches. I tried spraying some touchup paint, but it ran off the bare spot and down the side of the fender, and now looks even worse. How do I touch up bare spots without making the rest of the car look like :eek: ?

Roz

2. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    i would also like to know

i went to napa but they didnt help me out with nothin they just tried to sell me primer

i wanted like something u could spray (were the chrome meets the metal)

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    There is one thing about rust that is absolute. Left untreated, it just keeps on spreading. That is why it is often refered to as " body cancer ". There are products on the market that will stop rust from spreading called Rust Coverters. It is a liquid that is brushed on the rusted areas that will stop the rust and will form a black primer where the brown rust used to be. The only hitch is that all the rust has to be treated. Since the rust is around the chrome, the odds are very good that the rust started behind the chrome where water has been getting trapped. If you only treat the rust around the chrome, the rust behind the chrome will continue to grow and spread. The only solution is to carefully remove the chrome to get to the hidden rust underneath and treat all the rust. Now, how to spray touch up paint without it running. When spraying the paint, spray on a very light coat and let it semi-dry. Then continue to spray light coats the same way until you reach a decent color match. Don't hold the can too close, since the paint in spray cans is very thin and runny. Take your time. You could also experiment on a piece of metal just to get a feel for what you are doing.

4. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    If it is a small area brush it on.

5. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    How do I take the chrome off the top of the windshield, or do I have to remove the whole window (hope not)? The other spots, around a slightly dented headlight, and passenger side mirror, won't be too much trouble, but the windshield is a problem.

Roz

6. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I would highly suggest to go to a windshield shop and have them remove the trim. Once the trim is removed, have the guy put one clip back on without the trim and show you how to hook the clips with the tool. Once you see how they work, you will be able to do it yourself from then on.

7. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    There is a rust converter sold buy NAPA and Home Depot called Extend. It comes in a spray can or a regular can.
    I used alot of it underneath my 71 when I was working on it. It does a pretty good job. I sprayed some on the top of my chain link fence where is was rusted. This was about 4 years ago and without a top coat. It is just now starting to pop through with new rust.
    Clint

8. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    I agree with Mavoholic's advice about having an Automotive glass shop remove the windshield trim. Removing that trim can be a very touchy procedure and can result in a broken windshield if not done properly. They would have the special hand tools needed to pop the trim off the metal clips without bending the trim or cracking the windshield.

9. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the good advice. The windshield shop is a great idea. I'll also check out Extend at the Home Depot. You guys and Jean are all great. :lolup::clap:

Roz

10. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    You migth want to think about using a professional rust converter. They seem to work better. One is called Rust Mort and is available at body shop suppliers. Jean uses another brand that escapes me right now and she and her hubby use it with good results.

11. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    The brand of rust converter we use is called One Step, and it's made by Mar-Hyde. We've been using it for years and never have had any complaints with it. You can buy it at just about any automotive parts store like NAPA or Car Quest.