Rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by shaunh82, Apr 20, 2004.

1. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    I was checking my new purchase out the other day, adn started to grab hold of the bottom edge of the 1/4 panels, and the drivers side just crumpled away, but it was the part of the truck that meets the panel, should I just cut it out and slap some galvanized sheet metal in there? I think I'm going to have to get a 1/4 for the car which ios a shame because there is only 1 spot of rust on the body which is about the size of a buisness card. Every thing else is solid on the body and under the car from what I see. Also, where are the torque boxes located that everyone sayhs have a tendancy to rust out just so I can check it out later on?
    Thanks in advance
    Shaun

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    shaun, do a serch for "torque boxes". jean doll has some great info. with pics.
    i would also check the cowl vents. you can do a serch on them. good luck on your car. let us see pics...frank...

3. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    I searched the other day, I just am not sure where they are actually located, is it the lower part of the cowl? there is no rust on the firewall or near the vents, just a little surface where the paint was eaten away by brake fluid

4. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    shaun, you will need to pour water into the cowl vent. then look in the floorboard to see if any is leaking in. don't get it on the windshield because the seal on it might leak and give you a wrong reading. you can check the window seal if the cowls don't leak by pouring water on the top of the windowshield and seeing if it leaks on the inside.
    i have a plastic jug of water i carry for my car if i need it. that is what i use to check for leaks on someone's car.j.m.o....frank...

5. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    ok, so it rusts out on the inside of the car, I guess maybe I should pull the carpet back before I do it. It's probably alright, the car has been sitting out side in the rain these past few storms we've had and the interior is dry, although water does collect in my pass. side door, but drains out once it's opened, I think the weather stripping has a small gap in it. I'll try the water tonight, thanks
    shaun

6. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    shaun, i bumped the "rusted floors" post up for you...frank...

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The torque boxes tie the front frame rails to the rocker panels. They are located in the front wheel well, on the backside, down near the bottom. It looks like a big box which is actually triangular in shape.

Here is a link to Jean's thread where she repaired hers.

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5281

8. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    I just checked my torque boxes, and there is a thick layer of good undercoat on the out side, and there is no rust on the inside, I may pull the carpet out completely this weekend just to be safe, but from what I could see when I pulled it back, looks pretty good. Anyone going to spring Carlisle this weekend?