Rusted floor pan

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by MutantTeddyz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. MutantTeddyz

MutantTeddyz New Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    so the floor pan on the driver side floor is all rusted in my maverick, and there is a hole that was rusted straight through, how would you guys think I could get rid of the rust and fix this hole to restore my car? you think i should just weld down a panel to cover it and call it good by covering it with carpet or how could i fix this that will look nice, but not hella expensive

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Depends on how big the rust is. If it is a pretty good size you need to cut all of the rust out and weld a new piece in. If you just cover the rust it will continue to spread. Do a search for rust repair. :)

3. MaverickLVR

MaverickLVR takes longer then you think...

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick Stallion, 1967 Olds Delmont convertible, 1999 Harley FatBoy
    agreed, must get rid of all rust or it will just be a short term fix ;)

4. MutantTeddyz

MutantTeddyz New Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    ok i'll check into it, ya im thinking im gunna have to cut out the hole and weld a new panel in becuz the hole is a good pop can size =/ would i just need to cut around the area and weld the panel in you think or is there a way to get rid of minor rust? sorry i honestly kno nothing about cars, I'm not letting that push me away from my goal of restoring this 1970 maverick tho

5. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    If the pan is rusty and you have a rust hole in it...Start pokeing around with a screwdriver or a pick hammer. You will most likely find more weak metal on that pan. If so...The best method is to remove the rusty panel completely and replace it with new sheet metal. Putting a piece of steel over the existing rusty panel will do nothing for you in the long run. If the pan is solid except for the one area...Remove as much of the rust/scale as you can and treat the panel with a rust converter/neutralizing chemicle such as Ospho...Rust ban (napa product) or por 15...OR Eastwoods rust encapsulator...Also a good product is "Rust Bullet". See, you have to treat the rust you cant remove or it will continue to rust. Once you have neutralized the rust with the proper product...You can prime and paint it and not have to worry about it coming back at a later time.

When welding in a repair panel...You have cut out the rust back far enough from the hole to find clean/solid steel to weld/attach to.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. MutantTeddyz

MutantTeddyz New Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    you think i could go to a junkyard and just cut out a unrested panel out of sum car and take it sum where to have them cut it and put it in? or you think that'd be crazy pricey lol

7. MutantTeddyz

MutantTeddyz New Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    thanks for answering all my noob questions btw im still trying to learn, im kinda just teaching myself, but reading stuff up online and everything so being on this forum really is helping me lots too with my maverick because i can ask fellow maverick owners =)

8. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
  9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    You could install the pan yourself, no welding...Use a panel bonding adhesive. Only issue for me would be where the pan is welded to the frame rails but...Most new cars are glued together as much as welded, if not more. You would just have to be precise with the sizing and fitment of the repair panel...In this instance I would recommend you get a good floor pan section from a donor Maverick/Comet to aid easy/precise panel fitment. You will need a spot cutter for your drill and a saber saw with a couple good sheetmetal cutting blades. Then measure 3 times and cut once. If this still seems a bit over your head...Ask around at a few collision shops and see what they would charge you if you brought them the car prepped and ready for the job. Remove the carpet/seats and any ancillary components that would get in the way of doing the job...Good luck!!!

CA189HJN likes this.