Rusted out intake pan

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by tbonz75, Apr 16, 2005.

1. tbonz75

tbonz75 New Member

Vehicle:
    75 Grabber 2dr
    My brother gave my 15 YO a 75 Grabber. We live in the NW and the foot wells were 3 inches deep in water. What a swamp! We spent the day ripping the seats and carpeting after towing her home last night. Unfortunately the front vent intakes are rusted through. Anyone care to enlighten us on how to repair this situation?

Thanks,

tbonz75

2. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    :Welcome: to the board. Pictures, we love pictures. You should think about joining the MCCI. Good luck, on your venture...

3. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    check the archives for cowl vents. i haven't done it but i understand it's quite a chore. good luck. :)

4. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    right in the middle of it myself.
    What do you need to know?

First off, how bad? Sometimes you can pull the interior and weld in replacement steel from the bottom. In my case, I had to pull the windsheild, dash, the entire cowl, redo floorpans (rusted out due to the leak), big job.

Stefan has an article posted on the site about cowl replacement that works if the rust isn't complete. By the time I got my cowl out and started prepping it, I found more pinholes than metal, so it was a lost cause.

5. tbonz75

tbonz75 New Member

Vehicle:
    75 Grabber 2dr
    Thanks to all that replied. I followed the the links and found the pans on my 75 are riddled with pin holes. Luckily the floor pans were full of water so they did not get the damage the cowls did. Hey thats why they call it restoration, right?
    tbonz75

6. ronr11

ronr11 Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    cowl repair

i know this will sound like a lot of work but drilling 150 + holes didn't appeal to me i tried a different way by removing the whole cowl assembly( like the one we all should have bought on e bay bout 2mos ago),i had a plasma cutter and cut 3/4 inch in the firewall all the way across and found another cowl assembly and repaired it from the bottom then put the reworked cowl on and cut a line across the firewall and welded in place so far it looks like it will work time will tell

ron

7. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

i have cowl rot REAL bad.....and all i did was fiberglass the cowl over smooth.....no more leaks....and i am going to seal the weep holes under the windshield... luckily for me the car is now in arizona and not that much rain and if it does rain it evaporate quickly...

i want to do it right....but i dont have the means to take the entire car apart to do the cowl....i took the easy way....one day i will do it right

8. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    stmanser, odds are the weep holes under the windshield will wind up like mine. Nothing left to fix.

You can't get in there good with the windshield installed, and my windshield frame didn't survive removing the winshield.

Be very careful.

9. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

when i had my windshield molding replaced a couple months ago...the area wheere the glass mounted was real good shape....jsut the cowl rot...if i plug up all the holes that the water could use to get into the cowl...then i wont have to worry about rain getting my fusebox wet anymore...

i live in tucson...no standing water that the sun cant evaporate in 2 days time....:)