Rusty fenders?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ilovemy1974mavy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ilovemy1974mavy

ilovemy1974mavy Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    The areas covered in red are the rusty areas it's on both sides too I'm pretty confident most of it is surface rust but in some parts it's rusted through but there is enough solid metal still that makes me (as completely inexperienced as I am) think that I could sand blast and then maybe apply something that kills rust? (if such a thing exists) and then bondo it maybe? I assume that the previous owner tried to patch it with some fiber-glass stuff but I don't think he got rid of all the rust before he did it because it came back and cause the paint to bubble up. The rear fenders are the worst and I've looked into rear quarter panels but the cheapest I could find were like $250 each is there any way I could just get new fenders instead of whole quarter panels? ANY input would be greatly apreciated thanks. fender_777345.jpg

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    You can find good front fenders here on the forum in the parts for sale section. As for the quarters... Donor car...or Replacement quarters which you discovered are not cheap. If you intend to re-use what you have. You must remove the rust completely and treat (with a rust neutralizer)that which you can not remove. Make or purchase patch panels for repairing the rusted out sections. Fab skills and welding abilities are a must either way.
    Body filler is meant to smooth and level small defects in the surface of the body.It really isnt meant to fill dents/holes.

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Filler when used to fill holes will eventually fail....probably less than a year.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Where are you located?

5. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    You can get the rear quarters for less than $250. I bought them and only used what I needed which was the lower panels. If money's tight you may look into having the body shop class at a local college do the repairs, might just cost the amount for supplies. I bought both quarters from Jim at American Muscle Car Parts for $427 shipped, check them out.

6. ilovemy1974mavy

ilovemy1974mavy Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    west Texas

btw I found this website http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/maverick.html
    with fiberglass parts anyone have experience with this website? How would I go about using fiberglass panels?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. rwbrooks50

rwbrooks50 Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick & 63 Ranchero
    I have fenders and patch panel from my parts cars.

I live in Forney, TX just east of Dallas.

PM me if interested.

Rick

8. Sidesho

Sidesho Member

if its just small holes and your as inexperienced as i was this is what you do

take a wire wheel and clean all rust, inside and out, get some fiberglass matt and resin, along with a fiberglass bondo mixture, i like the stuff that has the small fibers in it

take the fiberglass matt, and following all instructions on the can of resin, apply the matt to the back of the fender, pushing it smooth with your hand (gloves help its messy)

leave it over night

come back and mix up some of the fiberglass bondo mixture and apply it to the outside of the fender

let it dry for about a half hour and sand smooth, i use a small rubber hose and 80 grit to get the grooves around the wheel wells

this worked for me great, and actually holds up well, of course nothing is as good as welding in new panels, but that is out of the question for some of us

9. olskool

olskool Member

Vehicle:
    1975 more door
    By the way the rust neutralizer you want is called por-15 clean all the rust you can off first then apply the por-15. With gloves if you get it on you it takes like a month to wash off but its good stuff.

10. ilovemy1974mavy

ilovemy1974mavy Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    pm sent, I hope