Rusty Roof

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Erick-Mav, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I took the vinyl off of my roof and there is quite a bit of surface rust on the top of the roof, and the edge of the roof by the rain gutters has some rust all the way through. It looks pretty bad in some spots. There is also rust on the passenger side rear quarter and the passenger door at the bottom front only. The rest of the southern California car has very little rust, especially the bottom of the car, floor panels, trunk, engine compartment, and structural areas. I don't know how involved the roof rust repair will be and I don't want to get into the thousands in body work. I don't need the car show quality, just somewhat presentable. Any suggestions? Also, there is a 72 Maverick at the junk yard that I could perceivably remove the roof and rear quarter portion to use, but I don't know how to do that. I could take pictures of the rust if that would help too.
    Thanks,
    -Erick

2. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I had the same problem on my '72, but much worse. The idiot previous owners had installed a second vinyl top over the original to hide the rust. When I pulled both tops off I had what amounted to swiss cheese.

I ended up grinding out all the rust, and patching the holes with sheet metal and gorilla-hair fiberglas (this was done at a body shop). The end result was a very nice repair but I didn't want to see any imperfections so I had a new vinyl top installed. It ended up being a very expensive repair, but I don't know any other way.

If you patch your holes with bondo, they'll just pop out again. Really the only way to repair it is the right way, which means spending a few dollars. I like your idea of using a donor top, but that's not a cheap solution either.

Ever consider making it a convertible?

Sam :)

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Post some pictures.

4. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I'll post some pics.

Sam- About how much did it cost you to do the roof repair?

5. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Erick, I'm not sure I could even tell you the cost, as I had a lot of other work done at the same time, and it was billed by the hour, not the job. If I had to guess I'd say the shop had 2-3 days hard labor involved. I'll see if I can dig up a receipt.

Sam :)

6. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    Here are a few pics. In general, the top is ok with just a few pitted spots, the posts are good, the junction with the front and rear window seem good, and the bad areas are the near vertical sections along the rain gutters. I also got an estimate to patch the roof for $500. I kind of question the quality though, but as long as it looks OK for at least 5 years that's probably good enough. The roof at the junkyard is near perfect with no rust but costs about $200 with the posts. Any opinions on what should I do?

Thanks,
    -Erick

7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I would think to weld in that area would require removal of the headliner.....unless you want to catch it on fire.

If the $500 estimate was for welding....might seem a little high...but if you can't weld or don't know how...it would seem cheap.

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    $500 is a cheap price to fix that roof. I'd question the quality of the repair. $200 is way too much for a roof. You can usually buy a parts car for half that and make some money back. Just make sure the parts car wasen't a vinyl roof car.

9. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I have the same problem...
    Only much worse.
    My roof's whole outer skin pulled up in flakes with my vinyl. :(
    I wish I had taken it off when it looked as good as yours.
    I am lucky and have a donor roof waiting for me. So no expense there.
    I checked with a body shop, here is what I was quoted:
    I provide donor top.
    I brace top and sweat it loose from donor car. (they are leaded at the rear, the front must be cut low to get entire joint)
    If you do not weld in a brace before melting/cutting the roof loose, you will twist it and ruin it.
    I bring him top and car.
    He removes glass.
    Sweats/cuts my top off.
    Installs donor top.
    Installation includes additional bracing.
    Top to be preped and completely primered.
    He reinstalls glass and any trim.
    Total $500.00

Dave

10. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I had the same dilemna. What we did was grind the roof as completely as possible. We used an acid etching primer (U-pol Acid #8) and it will keep the rust from returning. The pits will have to be filled so they won't show through the finished paint and it's done. The body man helping me has done restorations and has had good luck with this process.

11. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    I have a top I can get but when I remove it where should I cut it in the front, where and how should I cut it in the rear, and where does it need to be braced?
    Thanks,
    -Erick