Scratches.. $#@&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rudyska, Apr 18, 2005.

1. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Alright, so I have a new paint job on my car and the last freaking thing I want to see is a scratch. And what do I find today? A big long scratch. It's not a deep one, but it looks like its from a cat or some idiot... its not like keyed or anything. My question is, what can I use to buff this out or try and get rid of it without screwing up my paint?

Thanks.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    polishing compound, not rubbing compound. Makes me glad that my car is in primer :D

3. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    is there a product i can use from a store that will get rid of this scratch.

4. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

any poilsihing compound......the polish the scratch out...be careful not to burn the paint....take your time...

5. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Do you have clearcoat over the paint? If you do and the scratch is only in the clearcoat, you can very carefully wetsand the scratch out with 2000 wetsand paper and polish it out with a fine compound and polish. You can tell if the scratch is too deep to fix if when you run your finger nails over it they catch in the scratch. If they do, it's too deep to wetsand out. If the car only has basecoat emamel paint on it, then polishing compound should do the trick. You can get the supplies needed at just about any auto parts store.

6. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    Don't forget the birdshot for the probelm or it'll just happen again.
    I once wired my baot trailer up to an electric fence charger to keep the dogs from chewing the wires.
    A big rat trap would work also. lol
    I really don't have anything against cats and love my dogs but I don't think cats should be able to roam free.
    clint

7. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Collection of Mavericks and Comets
    How new is the paint job? Remember to wait before washing or waxing it! I think the typical time is 6 or 8 weeks. If it's just a surface scratch, it will be easy to get out - It won't matter if it is base/clear or single stage. Jean Doll is right, wetsand or use rubbing/polishing compound depending on the type of paint. I can understand, it would still make me really mad!

8. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Yeah, I have a clearcoat over the paint and I can tell that the scratch is only in the clear coat. However, I really don't even know how to "wetsand" the scrratch out. I was looking more for like a polish or something... I just don't know how to wetsand or whatever that is... I think Nu Finish or something has a clear coat scratch remover but I am scared if I try one of these that it may screw up my paint even more.

And it was a cat... found tons of paw prints all over my car. GRR stupid cats.:mad:

Thanks for your replies, I totally appreciate it
    ps--The paint job is doing great, except for what that evil cat did to it.:16suspect

9. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Just ask Mavaholic how to deal with the cat problem. He has some unique approaches to them. Quite funny, too!