Sealing a leaking cowl

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by COMETIZED, Nov 5, 2009.

1. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    I noticed joshua mcgehee was asking for more information on the sealed cowl look which Scott Spillman here in Florida posted of some of his early photos. We have performed this procedure on six cars over the last ten years and I'm glad to see its "catching on " . Dennis Martin is also considering this procedure for his Comet. I have a detailed procedure outlined online at www.cameoclub.com/lcv.html that explains the process and if you wish I can send you some more detailed photos which go into more specific areas of this work. If anyone wants more information that I've already shown I'll be glad to help. Cometized CAMEO.

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    thanks...:Handshake
    i used that information when i did mine...
    the only difference...i used Rust Bullit and fiberglass matt on the cowl before i glued the tops on...:yup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    I may be trying this this winter. I take it that when glassing the inner cowl, leaving a channel for water to get out is something easily done. Im sure you still get water in from the Windshield wipers and windshield drains.

4. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Cowl Sealing

Hi Chris:
    Just noticed that you were considering the sealed cowl look. Yes its easy to provide a passage for the water that gets into this area. I try not to leave depressions in the coatings and follow the natural contours of the inner cowl areas when the fiberglass sheets are being installed . The excess water will drain out the drains provided by FORD on each side without any trouble. We've done several cars like this and its a genuine pleasure driving in the rain without worrying about getting my feet wet and shorting out some electrical part under the dash. I'm updating the info on my website with new photos that will explain much more on the process . I think it adds to the clean appearance of the cars and by sealing the cowl it DOESN'T stop any airflow to this area. If you need any information please contact me. Chip CAMEO :Handshake

5. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Cowl sealing

Hi Frank:
    This is a unique approach to the sealing . Let me know how this worked out. A lot of folks out there don't have access to a welder . I welded mine because thats a facet of my business and I have several available.
    Are you going to seal off the "undersides" of the cowl area ? Just curious . If you are , I'm updating my website on this process with a lot of new photos showing more details if you're enterested. :)Chip CAMEO

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    thanks Chip, I'll check it out...:Handshake

...Frank...

7. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I've been considering doing this, too. How does air get to the inside vents with the cowl covered?

8. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hello BMCDaniel:
    Airflow will be scavenged through the drain areas on each side of the car on the underside of the cowl areas as well as through the two chimneys providing you don seal "them" in the glassing process. If the chimneys are too badly rusted as in my case , I just patched the holes with metal , then glassed over the entire area. This will difinitely reduce the amount of air coming "into" the car from the cowl area but most cars now use AC on the re-circulate setting or MAX and the cooled air IN the car is re-circulated through the system. I run our cars on AC maximum or even lower settings and its very comfortable. Sealing the cowl louvered area for me was a means of stopping the WATER from entering the interior.. and by doing the fiberglass work underneath this was accomplished. I recommend it if you are tired of wet floors and feet. It got old real quick with me. Just a thought ... You DON'T have to seal the upper cowl area.. you could LEAVE the louvers in place... Just do the glassing on the inner areas of the cowl to stop the water intrusion only.. Thats if you want to retain the original look of the car. I personally feel the closed cowl look is an improvement. Different strokes.. for Different folks.. :) Chip CAMEO

9. will8069

will8069 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet 250 straight 6
    So this all seemed like a great idea, and in a hurry to stop the leaks inevitable rust in my floorboard, I sprayed expanding foam into the cowl. I sealed it all. Now I'm thinking that that may have been a terrible idea. I didn't know what I was thinking. What I want to know now is: 1 was it a terrible mistake (what are the consequences?)and 2 if it was, how could i fix it?

10. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hello again..
    I don't think its so serious that you can't correct it . I once sprayed some of that same stuff into a trunk .. ( mistake ) I had a hard time getting it out because it hardened ..and it broke off in little pieces when I tried to remove it . I would suggest that you remove your fenders and then open up the sides of the areas like I've show in the pictures. ( I realize they're not up yet .. but the lady that does this for me will do it next week ..I promise) then proceed to remove the filler with whatever tools you can devise to get it done.. I would start in the "center" of the filler and work my way out to the sides .. breaking off what I could reach and then continue till its out .. Get a good shop vac to pick up all the little crumbs that will result also .. Once you get to the metal you'll be able to prep it for the resin . OSPHO is a great rust inhibitor .. you can get it at any good hardware store and its not real expensive .. be sure to protect your floors and carpets inside from drips that will drain through any holes you have in the cowl . Other than that .. It could be worse .. If you're going to seal the louvered areas also , then you'll have those two openings to work through and it shouldn't be that difficult to reach the areas inside. I wish you success.. Chip CAMEO (y)

11. will8069

will8069 Member

Vehicle:
    thank you very much. I thought that I would have done so much more work than that.

12. will8069

will8069 Member

Vehicle:
    Before I do all that work, what is the actual purpose for the cowl? I know that it is the fresh air vent, but I have ac. I also know that it is a drain for rainwater, but that is kind of the problem. What else does it do?