seat apolstry

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by bartikus, Jan 13, 2009.

1. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 1977 4 door mav(dead), 1964 falcon 4 door wagon, 1936 studebaker dictator
    so i'm wanting to apolster my seats from scratch. i have a book that baisicaly teaches you how to. but i was wondering if there is a pattern out there for stock seats or should i just slowly pull them apart and make a pattern off of what is left of my origional vinal.

2. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I have heard of people pulling apart the factory seams and then using that as a guide for a pattern.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Useing the old material to make patterns will work.Just remember the original stuff has stretched/shrunk over the years so allow yourself some extra material when you make your patterns.You will however need a serious sewing machine to stitch vinyl/leather.Grandmas singer wont cut it.

4. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 1977 4 door mav(dead), 1964 falcon 4 door wagon, 1936 studebaker dictator
    yeah i know i've been looking for one.

5. 75 Vomet

75 Vomet Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet GT, 03 Ranger, '11 Fusion,'13 Escape S
    http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bfs/971972725.html $850 ?????? Buy a car for that!
    Might be better to go to the salvage yard or better yet to the rebuildables type sites in your area and get some seats from a low mileage wreck. It seems to me that the newer seats even weight less. RE: less weight = more power at rear wheels.

6. white trash

white trash Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick 6cyl auto field find junker
    I have really been thinking of learning how to do upholstery as well. I looked on ebay at some of the industrial machines and they can be found for 200-300 bucks in working condition. I also saw an instruction video somewhere. I do not want to learn this just for my Maverick. It would be easier to just buy new upholstery for 300. It's something I have wanted to learn my whole life.

7. 75 Vomet

75 Vomet Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet GT, 03 Ranger, '11 Fusion,'13 Escape S
    Oh, very good. My wife and I redid the rear seat in a 64 Falcon about 15 years ago. I used a quarderoy type material on a regular old school Singer. It came out ok, but no pleats or any fancy stuff. I wish I had pics. I used a pair of needle-nose and regular pliers to hook the rings. You should invest in "hog ring pliers".

Attached Files:

8. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    the biggest problem is that most of the time if there is a mav in the junk yard it has a front bench or it is a 4 door.

i have also wanted to learn how to do it my self. i thought it might be fun to learn.