Shaping Sheet Metal?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rustymav1974, Feb 17, 2011.

1. rustymav1974

rustymav1974 Livin' The Dream

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Is it hard to shape sheet metal to patch lower rear quarter panels? I'm kinda cheap and don't really want to spend about $500 dollars on rear quarter panels from Autokrafters I have a friend who's dad is a professional welder he may know how and be willing to help me haven't asked him yet. Any opinions?

2. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Have you tried posting a wanted ad on here? A bunch of guys have parts cars, they could cut you out the piece you need.

3. rustymav1974

rustymav1974 Livin' The Dream

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Well I want to have some spare sheet metal around cuz I have some small holes in the doors too. But no I haven't thought of posting the want ad

4. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I formed my own patch panels for my floorboards. It was mostly using a bench vise and body hammers and anvils bought as a kit at Harbor Freight. Took it slowly and got useably stuff. Sometimes it was hammering on it using the anvil half of the vise for a base, sometimes using the vise to clamp it and form hard edges. Floors do not have to look as good as outside bodywork, though.

I think someone here mentioned using pieces of Mustang patch panels for small repairs, if they are just confined to a small lower area. If nothing else, they would probably be a good start, and you could tweak them a bit. Fairly cheap from places like CJs Pony Parts.

What I would want to be sure of before anything else is to know exacty how much rust you are dealing with. Typically there is a lot more rust hidden than showing until you strip paint, etc. From there you can determine if you need a whole quarter or not.

If any doubt there, ... go big and get it. In retrospect, I should have gotten a whole passenger side front Mustang floorpan (for about $30). As I patched, I found more stuff that was "pretty stable, but not quite". It would have been less work to chop a bunch out and do it all as one repair.