Shaving the drip lips and side markers

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Jul 11, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Shaving the side markers seems to be a pretty popular idea lately, and even luckyirish is going to do it.

What about shaving off the drip lip that runs the length of the top of the car? Has anyone done one, or the other, or both, and can we see some pics?

I just notice that most new cars have neither, and wondered if it wouldn't mess up the "lines" of our cars.

2. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    to me, that is opening a whole can of worms. We tried it on a junk 66 f100, and found that the roof is actually seemed together there, and you have to join the top of the roof with the inner structure, I woulnd't do it, but that's me, however, I still want to see a 2 dr with a 3" chop, and slanted back so the rear window is about 6" high :D

3. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    New cars have a substitute for drip rails. They have doors that extend up to and beyond the roofline, have rubber seals designed to send the water away from the door and wiindow, and keep you from getting a bath when you open the door or drive with the window down. It's an entirely different design, but same principle.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    OK, SCRATCH shaving off the rails. :slap:

Just thought I would ask.

5. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Oh, one mo' thang. Newer cars don't need side marker lights because their front and rear light fixtures are mounted on the corners and wrap around to be visible from the sides.:D

6. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I wouldn't rule that thought out completely. I have been doing some serious thought about this and have come to the conclusion that if you are an experienced body man this is worth tackling. I have seen old cars and trucks with shaved brows and I think I wouldn't be a bad idea. Now the thing about water splashing on you when you get in or out would, I think, only happen when it's pouring outside and your getting wet anyways, but for a weekend warrior it may not be that bad:huh:. It would look darn cool though.:bowdown: And if it is a weekend car you may have a/c that way you don't have to crack the window when it's raining.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  7. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    New cars have shallow water channels in the roof instead of a gutter hanging off the side.

Mine are coming off, because I don't plan on spending very much time in the rain. Just have to do it in small bits. Cut...weld...cut...weld...cut...weld...

8. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    RadMav's done it and I think one other person on here had it done. It can be done. Im going to do it to my 70 Grabber!

9. comet_gt72

comet_gt72 Member

Vehicle:
    My first car, i have had it for 12 years.
    i think its a great idea, especially for a non daily driver, i have seen plenty of other cars that have had it done and it looks really good. i am cosidering doing it on a junker mav i have out back for practice, if i do i will be sure to take tons of pics of the process and do a write up.

10. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    I have removed mine from the new car. Going off advise from RadMav I left the inside edge of the drip rail intacked. If it is removed it creates a large gap from the roof line to the window frame. With it left in the concerns about water getting to the seals shouldn't be an issue.

11. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    I'm no body man but I wonder if a slight concave channel could be Massaged into the roof near the edge to act as a channel to send water down the back?

12. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

custom car guys have been shaving nearly everything off their cars for decades, trim, markers, badging, you name it. shaving the markers cleans up the sides in my opinion and gives one less place for rust to get in behind.

the drip rails coming off also cleans up the lines(again in my opinion) but do it in small sections, and be patient welding and you wont have any trouble.

13. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    as for the new cars having improvements that replace drip rails, they may work on paper but suck in life. the wifes car always gets rain or snow on the seat from the roofline when its wet and ive experienced this on other new vehicles as well. but for a toy or cruiser, shave it if you like them that way.

14. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Hmmm...that looks pretty good! (y)

15. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I didn't say I would do it, I am not skilled enough to pull it off (pun partially intended).

But, it does look good...