Sherwin Williams Car Paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rudyska, Dec 13, 2004.

1. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Is this the most common paint? Is it pretty decent?? Just wondering cause I took my Maverick in for an estimate, and the guy said he uses Sherwin Williams paint. I thought that was like.. house paint. I know they make car too, but Im just curious as to if this is any good or if its cheap-o type or what. Hahahaa.:bananaman

2. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    We use dupont Centari, has a pretty nice outcome, and relatively reasonable price, custom mixed colors, 1gal for $108. Hopefully this spring I'll learn to lay down some paint on my car
    Shaun

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    jmo..."the paint job is only as good as the prep." i spend a lot of my time on getting the car ready to go to the paint shop...remove side lites..bumpers...door handles...window trim (front and back)...chrome mirrows...grille...headlight doors...radio antena...hood trim...tail lights...and if you are real good the drip rail trim. and the biggy to me is it going to be a color change??? if so,that makes for a lot more prep. most shops tell me they have the best "tape man" so you don't have to remove the stuff i mentioned. my exp. has been, that is where the paint starts peeling from...jmo...

so you have a few choices to make..do you just want a quick paint job or one to maybe last a few years...frank...

p.s. i also use single stage paint.

4. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Sherwin Williams is the maker of Martin Senour paints that have been around the auto body shops for years. Sherwin Williams is a reliable, trusted paint in the auto body shops. Dupont & PPG have become the more popular brands though.

5. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I used to stripe big rigs in 83-84 and the shop I worked at used shermin williams paint. It was single stage and it worked real good, but then basecoat/clearcoat wasn't around back then or it was in its very early stages. I'm sure that paint will be fine, pretty sure Martin Senour makes a bc/cc now also. like 71 said, prep work, prep work, prep work. And I agree with Lonnie bc/cc is the only way to go now days but thats just my opinion.

6. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    From all I've heard, Sherwin Williams Auto paint is not a bad brand of paint. As has been stated before, prep work is everything. You can use the most expensive, top of the line paint in the world and the end result will still look like crap if the prep work is badly done. We use PPG brand paints and clearcoats in our shop and have always had excellent results with them. Many shops use the brands of paint they pick because they can get good deals on bulk paint products and others simply because they like one brand over another regardless of price. Some paints spray differnently from others: some are thinner or some cover better than others. But in the end, it all goes back to the prep work. The better the prep work, the better the paint job.

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Stick with any of the name brand paints and you cant go wrong. As far as 2 stage paints, I recomend them if your shooting metallics or doing graphics. If your painting solid colors, I much prefer single stage paint. Solid colors can be sanded and buffed just like a clear coat. Most 2 stage painters shoot 3-4 layers of base coat and at least 3 of clear. usually more. You can shoot 4-5 layers of single stage and have plenty of paint there to sand and buff. Dont have to worry about cutting through the clear.

8. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have used about every paint made. Finally used sikkens for the first time couple weeks ago. Used to use Sherwin Williams for years under the Martin Senior name. I prefer Dupont, but just cause I am used to it. Only thing I can add to this thread is, If a guy uses a brand and knows, that brand, then when the goofy little problems that can develop, and usually when we least expect them, you know how to deal with them. Also, I do very very little single stage and mostly use bc/cc.
    Dan

9. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    I had a 70 Ford F100 painted with it back several years ago. Theres a paint chain down here called Peach auto paint and collison, Its basically the maaco of the south. They did a nice job and i never had a problem for as long as i owned the truck which was about 4 years ... I did all the prep work my self tho ...

10. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Does the Sherwin Paint come in sparkly colors???? I noticed I HATE those flat looking colors (Just my own personal opinion!!) and I definitely want a sparkly dark blue... would I be able to get that more than likely?

11. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    If you are refering to Metallic paints, the answer is yes. I'm not sure about Metal flake colors. Your best bet would be to contact an Automotive supply store like Car Quest or Napa that mixes car paint and ask to look at thier paint chip books. There are thousands of colors in those books from all makes of cars and they go back many years. From those you can get a pretty good idea just how ' sparkly' different colors can be. The best way to look at them is outside in natural light if they will let you. Our local Car Quest were we get our paint carries the PPG line of paint, and they also have paint chips for the metal flake and candyapple colors as well. Pretty wild stuff.

12. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Sherwin Williams is some of the best automotive paint there is. And "W" RULES....

13. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Where at in Colorado are you?

14. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Must be a local thing. What the heck is with the "W" ?

15. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I think they are referring to George "W" Bush