Should i be mad or not?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by pong4117, Aug 28, 2006.

1. pong4117

pong4117 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Mav 4 Door
    Well my friend owns a Autobody shop, and he said he would do paint my MAv for $300 buks:yikes: ..so i thought that was a good deal so i said yea....he said it would Be done in a week so i called him after that week he said they have had a lot of bussiness lately so one more week. The next week i called him he said one more week. I was getting pretty anxious and mad..but I thought hes only charging me $300...so just wait....well i went over there but no one was there cause i had to see my baby...and i looked around and saw it..all he has done was buff it and take the back bumper off....:mad: so im not sure if i should be mad or just wait it out...and he called me a while back he forgot what color i wanted it:eek: .... this is the last car i bring to him....ill put on pics whens its all done. but im pretty mad

2. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    How could you be mad, have you ever priced a paint job? I have no idea what your friend is using unless he is going to use 'left-overs" from other jobs to paint it. No frill paint material will cost $800- $1200 then to spray it is another 800.00 then if there is body work, prep time there goes 5,000-6,000 grand if you are lucky. That is my 2 cents

3. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I know this doesn't help!
    But for your friendship sake please keep in mind, that for $300 you can't expect him to drop everything to work on your car. The bread and butter in the body shop is late model wreck repair. Gotta keep the lights on somehow. I don't see how he can paint a car for $300 it will cost more than that for materials.

4. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Typical...

...sadly this seems to be a trend with almost all the body/paint guys that I know. They don't seem to know their way around a calendar.

Curious here. You said he 'buffed' it. Do you mean sanded? If you want it back
    sooner, I'd talk with him and ask if you could get a commitment time for getting it back. $300 is really cheap. Is he using it to train new workers? Honestly, he is either a really good friend, or he has a mission only charging you $300. I might consider offering him a little more to speed things up, maybe also ensuring a better job. Heck my paint alone was much more than that.

Seth

5. hotrod-daddy

hotrod-daddy Member

Vehicle:
    a 1971 Grabber with a 302/351
    I wouldn't get mad...the $300 is well below the normal price, At that price you need to be a lot more flexible with time

6. pong4117

pong4117 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Mav 4 Door
    Well he only pulled out the dents, I guess i should be greatfull, 300 is very cheap. Well hes charging me so cheap because im his very good friend and my cousin well helped them out when is seblings were in trouble with the Police. So i guess i over reacted a little. and he's going to help me get the interior done really cheap as well. One of his friends Does it under the table.

7. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i guess if you did all the body and prep work you could your self before you droped it off that may have speeded it up a little. at least the simple things like taking off the bumpers or whatever. I mean im sure you could drop it off some where else and have it done in a few days but would paying the normal price be worth it?

8. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I run a body shop and I can't paint more than a hood for $300. Things have changed quite a bit the last 20 years and that's about what the price was then for a decent job. It's like the others have mentioned, materials for a full paint job will cost in excess of $700-800 so if he uses anything decent, he will lose money just on materials...much less make anything at all for his labor. I'd be going over and helping him out as much as possible doing anything he might ask. ;)

9. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    for all you body shop guys, what do you think of the $375 paint jobs they have advertised at Macco lol. I see that commercial all the time, damn it starts to get tempting lol

10. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    there has been good and bad stories about MAACO paint jobs.
    The good ones all seem to be the same.....
    you take everything off you want off....you do the body and prep work yourself, and you let them paint it.....period.
    From what I have heard, they will just tape everything up and start spraying...so if you do all of the above mentioned work yourself, you have a much better chance of getting a decent job.

11. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Patience grasshopper.............body shop and dogs have a lot in common, time wise.

12. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i just got mine painted before the roundup. came out pretty nice for a race car, i think. there was no bodywork at all to be done. i took all the chrome off i could. bumpers, door handles, stuck an old set of wheels on it. got it painted for $400. but he does it evenings and weekends when the shop is closed. the paint was $204 for a gallon. i'm sure he gets it cheaper. but hey, he's got to make a little.:)

13. pong4117

pong4117 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Mav 4 Door
    Well its been almost five weeks..so I went to check on it 2 days ago it its still not done, and he accidnetly broke one of the body trim. its still not sanded i offered to sand it but he insisted that i didnt...well now im kinda use to the fact it being in his shop and not @ my house. well ill update when i get it back and pics..

14. pong4117

pong4117 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Mav 4 Door
    :D 7 weeks and 6 days later i got my car back.:dance: ..well if i want it completely done i have to pay 80 more bucks for just some minor details to fix the paint up a lil...and i might needs to get a new bumper because the other one doesnt fit any more, its so bent outa shape. well ill post pics tomrrow....if i have time....

15. luckyirishpride

luckyirishpride "Youngest Comet Owner"16!

Vehicle:
    2x 1971 Mercury Comets Both V8s, P/S/, A/C
    Ya... I brought my car to the body shop on July 9th... he said a month... It is September 28th today (almost 29th) so thats 2 months 20 days.... and he says it will still PROBABLY be another month....

O ya, and I am paying 2300$ and this IS A FRIEND!