side trim removal started

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by newtoford, Sep 25, 2007.

1. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    ive got a set of early doors w/o trim so that solves that problem. the biggest issue would be the rear 1/4's where there's about 6 holes on each side big enough to stick a pen into. i could probably get my dad to weld them in but is there an easier alternative? alot of people have said fiberglass but i dont want something .5 @$$ looking when i get it painted (someday :huh:)

i also dont want something that will chip out 2 years later like bondo. my friend got his bondo'd in on his '71 4dr before paint and it looks like hell, atleast to my well trained eye :cool: it goes between high and low the entire length of the middle of his car. its all cracking out of the fist sized hole in the bottom of his front fenders.

i realize the larger the area the more likley it is that the filler wont last or look good but for somthing the size of these rivit holes is there any alternative to welds? i also still have to do the ones on the lower 1/4's where the big bumper filler used to be

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    welding is the best way. Another alternative would be to slightly dimple the hole in and use JB Weld on it.

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I dimpled then roughed up the holes and filled with PC7 epoxy ....

[​IMG]

4. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    just out of curiosity but did your doors us a diffrent riviting system then the front and rear fenders? on my doors threre were little heads sticking off the skin that the trim hooked too but the fenders and also the soft top trim used the big rivits with the large holes. it would have made the job alot easier if it were like that all the way through...

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    My doors just had the holes at each end. I ground off the rivets ...

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    You can use Panel Adhesive, We patched a few hole in the roof of my 97 Dodge van about 4 years ago, and there still holding up well. We taped the off from the outside and squirted enough on there to build it up a little on the inside. Any good body shop supply store should have it.

7. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    yea, i'll have to look into that, thanks

8. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    How long do you want it to look good????I just welded all mine up saturday,Took about an hour(car is stripped down) and about another hour and a half to grind/metal finish them.No muss no fuss.You can try other methods,find one that you like/workes well and good luck.I considered leadding the trim holes in mine(easier to file/finish) but The mig is right there and zip!! its done.Remember longevity and stability are the major factors to consider when useing a medium other than a welder and some steel wire.Just my two pennies Good luck.

9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Oh before I forget! those little rivets on the door skins.Two metods for removal that dont make a mess of the panel.#1 Cut off wheel/grinder.#2 use a good pair of vise grips,clamp the jaws on the rivet heads and just twist left or right like unscrewing a screw.POP they come right off.This metod may leave a small dimple/crater(the size of a pin head)Easy to finish though,and no grinder marks.

10. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    PM Hawkco and ask him how he filled the holes on his '77. It worked out very well.

11. ratrodjake

ratrodjake Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 250 I6
    i just did this this weekend, just weld em and then grind them, its not hard and it looks good. you can barley tell they were ever there, and i didnt even use bondo yet. when your welding up the rear quaters, have some water ready and your trunk open so you can throw it in there. my car was smoking after every weld back there:rofl2:. so i just threw a coffee cup of water in there after every weld. good luck!

12. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    i guess it would be a good idea to alternate welds across the panel rather then just do them across so you dont put too much heat into one area and warp it.