slotted mag cleaning

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 19FordMav72, Dec 11, 2002.

1. 19FordMav72

19FordMav72 Guest

yea so i just got some slotted mags and theyre really dirty and pitted i should say.
    so far i have cleaned one up pretty good with mothers mag and aluminum polish but ive been working on just one of them for about three hours so far and barely got more then half decent looking. is there a trick or two about cleaning these things. i was thinking about just sanding them up pretty nice and having them painted due to the fact that the front and the backs are two diferent colors .
    but like i said before any tips about cleaning these would be a big help
    thanks
    -todd

2. Russ

Russ Found On Russ's Drive

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    If they're alum. how can they be different colors? I would try some Eagle One mag wheel cleaner. They used to make a mag cleaner for alum wheels it was GOOOOD stuff. You need to find the one that is NOT safe for clear coated wheels(this stuff will eat the clear off of factory cleared wheels). After you get the dirt off then use fine a steel wool. After that you could use the polish to make them shine. You need to get them clean before you can polish them. Good luck Russ

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Those old slots really do get pitted. The only way to make them nice is to sand and buff down to a new surface and get rid of all the pits. Then buff and polish them out. The inside of the slots should be lightly bead blasted to give the correct original texture ....

4. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    POR15 makes a wheel cleaning and clear coat kit. Go to POR15.com and see if it serves your purposes.

Earl

5. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    well come to find, i was in the auto parts store looking for the right stuff when a truck mechanic over heard... he took me back to his shop and hooked me up with this acid of some kind... the jug said aluminum truck wheel cleaner. i can only speculate what is in it but i think (by smell) it is phosphoric acid. brush it on... watch it sizzle..hose it off real well. soft wire wheel... a lil "mothers'" and some elbow grease and WOW! whatever that acid was... he told us to use gloves and not get any on our skin. needless to say, todd got some on his arm. it hurts. he is ok tho... rinsed with plenty of water.

6. Russ

Russ Found On Russ's Drive

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    Scott I think that was muriatic acid. I thought about that (being dad drives trucks) but It is some nasty stuff. Glad you got them clean. What about the different color thing? How about some before and after pics

Last edited: Dec 15, 2002
  7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Don't use that acid on clearcoat wheels...it will ruin the clear coat. Learned that lesson myself many years ago.

8. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    same color

well we didn't finish yet but with the prelim cleaning... they WILL match. that acid is some narly sh*t . is sizzles and bubbles but holy frijole... it does a number. i'll go back to the truck place with a 6 pack of warsteiner, thank the guy and ask about applying clear-coat. his truck wheels looked PERFECT!