smoothing out the lines on the spoiler

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Sep 27, 2005.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I don't get to the Cosmetic forum often. My car continues to be ugly until I take care of more Technical stuff.

But, I have the Grabber spoiler and all that jazz for the rear end. I really like it. But recently saw a GT350 clone with similar parts, but rather than having an abrupt interruption in the body flow, like our bolt on parts have, this one had a nice transition between rear quarter and spoiler.

Anybody done this on their maverick? How much work? Do you grind the spoiler to flush with the rear quarter, or fill it in to flush?

Any suggestions?

2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Scott; looks great....sucks when you need to remove the fender extensions to remove or replace them, or for other reasons. BTW...shipping the seat brackets tomorrow. Be watching.

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Earl--Cool!

Weather cools down tomorrow with the first COLD FRONT. and I can begin working on the car again with some vigor.

For those of you not from the deep south, the first cold front is a religious experience...it means life is worth living for the next 7-8 months.

4. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I actually worked on the Mav when it was still day light today. Good days are comeing... :)

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I have ofter thought of and wanted to do this but really lack the talent. If I was to do it I'd take a sheet of metal and start at the front of the trunk, run it back, and form it up & over the existing spoiler so that it will cover the whole thing. Then remove the bolt on spoiler and weld the new trunk skin to the trunk. You probably could glass the existing one on to smooth it out, but I think it would eventually crack. For the quarter extensions, you would have to make a set out of metal so they could be welded on. I was wondering how good that panel adhesive that the body shops use, would work to glue the quarter extensions on and use that stuff to them fill the gap. Again, I think it would eventually crack.

6. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I am pretty sure that any bond would crack between these parts. It would just be too thin a layer, especially on the trunk lid.
    The best thing to do would be to make a mold of the entire trunk lid with the ducktail on it, then cast one from glass... a complete lid that is. Most of us don't have the skills or time to do that though.
    As for the quarter extentions, the seam to those is not really noticeable.
    My uncle has a 69 Mach project car, the PO had bonded the front and rear extentions onto the main body panels before putting the car into prime. They are already cracked and look crappy. (Stangs have front fender extentions too)
    One other option, one that is less work than making a full custom glass deck, is to buy an aftermarket glass deck and aftermarket ducktail. Both being fiberglass, they would bond together very well. It is still quite a bit of work too, though. Especially considering UP would have to be the source for the parts and they get a bad wrap for fitment 'out of the box'.
    Dave

7. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

I did this on the 77 ....no problems as of date, its been a good 7 or 8 years since we painted it.

the problem is I cant remember what we used . I know it wasnt bondo or fiberglass,...was something ya dont ordinarily think of.someone asked a while back on the same thing, I still cant recall,...sorry , not much help

8. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    J&B Weld?

9. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I have seen some guys use epoxy. Than sand it smooth.

10. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

ya know, it may have been? I cant sear 100% , but it sure sounds right. I remember we played around with about 3 or 4 different compounds til we found one that worked.

11. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    I have used that stuff on alot of different materials and its always held up.