Some cosmetic flaws, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by skaz, May 7, 2006.

1. skaz

skaz a.k.a. Steeb

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick, 73 El Camino
    I'll go in the order that I took the pictures.

In the first picture you can see some rivet/tab things that I'm assuming were originally there to hold the chrome trim in place along the sides of the car. I'm guessing the best way to get rid of these is to beat them out with a hammer and plugging them up with bondo, although for the meantime I'd prefer to just get them out without banging up the car. Any good way to just snap them off and just leave the holes in the meantime?

In the second picture you can see where I had a tire blowout and the signal light suffered some other mild damage. It's the light I'm worried about, since the whole housing is gone. After this I'll probably post in the parts needed forum. The fender separation is a pain, but it was a lot worse before I took a pair of pliers to it and spent half an hour working on it. If you have any tips for that, it would be appreciated too.

The third picture is of my ugly wheels. They look like they used to be pretty nice, too. I'm hoping I can just sand these down and repaint them but I'm wondering what the best techniques for repainting chrome would be, or if I'm better off getting new wheels. Feedback on this would be appreciated, probably adds more ugly to my car than anything else.

The fourth picture is a picture of the rear passenger-side fender where it looks like the car was once in an accident and the taillight assembly was pushed forward and buckled it a bit. I doubt I'll be able to work on this in my apartment complex, but it's a desperate attempt at anyone having some really kickass idea that I just can't think of.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    1. Those little studs are welded on. Easiest way is to grind them off using a 4" grinder with a sanding disc.
    2. Should be able to loosen the 3 bolts that hold the valance on and realign it.
    3. Best way to do the wheels is take it to a place that can san blast the wholw wheel. Then prime aand paint them.
    4. Only way to fix this properly is to remove the fender extension, bumper, and filler panels. Then make a plate that you can attach a cable to so you can bolt it where the fender extension goes. That way you can put some pulling pressure on it while you work the metal. I've used a comealong and a tree with great sucess.