Some help with my dash lights

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by maxsideburn, Mar 10, 2004.

1. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    Ok I can't seem to get my dash lights to work, but that's not a problem, I can just mount my own LED setups and hook them up to switches. But what I need to know is how the stock ones work. Do the factory lights shine THROUGH the gauges from behind, or illuminate them by just shining light on them from the front/side? The bulbs are behind the gauges so it would seem that they shine THROUGH the gagues, but the gauges don't look to be translucent at all.

2. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    There are bulbs mounted in the rear of the gauge cluster. Often, when the lights don't work at all it is either a problem at the fuse block with the particular fuse that protects the lights or at the headlight switch itself. It is possible that there was a meltdown with the ribbon which conducts the power at the rear of the cluster, but the other problems I mentioned are more common.

3. its_not_safe

its_not_safe Member

Vehicle:
    1973 2dr Maverick 302c my other car got stolen!!
    My problem was the inst cluster and ribbon were broke, now on the new one i had one light bulb missing and none of them work so i went to auto zone and picked up some new ones..

4. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    ok, but that wasn't my question. Does the light shine ONTO the gauges? Or THROUGH the gauges?

5. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    On to the guages, the light bounces off the walls to light it up, kinda crappy setup. You could just replace the bulbs with some 5W5 bulbs check your fuses and you will be just as happy as you would with LED's.

6. Wes

Vehicle:
    This light setup was pretty common with most cars for a very long time.

7. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    hmm. I'm still thinking of creating my own custom LED setup, just because I want to do something different. Was thinking a nice dull blue or red LED near the center of the speedometer, and maybe some white and red ones behind the turn signal indicators. That way when you used your turn signal they would be white, but when you hit your brakes the red ones would light up.

8. Lanhon

Lanhon New Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick 4-door
    Dash Lights

I apologize for this question in advance. I dont know anything about cars and have two left hands. I recently picked up a 1976 Maverick (4-door, automatic trans) Runs great but body is in bad shape. Lots of rust. Here is the problem: I dont have any dash lights. I have checked the fuses and all seem to be ok. It could be that one of the empty fuse slots is the dash light fuse slot. How do you know what fuse does what? Do you take each one out at a time and try to figure it out? Also, how in the heck do you find the light bulb? Surely you don't have to take the dash out to find it! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

9. Wes

Vehicle:
    The fuses are marked on the block. Just because the fuse is ok, doesn't mean that everything is ok there. I had problems with a film on the blades blocking the current. Cleaning the blades corrected this problem. The bulbs are in back of the gauges and you really have to remove the cluster to get to them.

FYI, it is a very small fuse to the lower left of the block if you are looking at it.

10. mandisloverboy

mandisloverboy New Member

Vehicle:
    74'2dr6250,72'4dr6250,75'2dr6250mavs
    the dimmer switches in both of my mavs are bad but if i turn it really slow the lights will come on at a certain point. took me a while to figure it out. Good luck

11. Lanhon

Lanhon New Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick 4-door
    Dash lights

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try this weekend. I appreciate your help.