Spoiler repair?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by MapleMav, Nov 16, 2004.

1. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    This is a rear spoiler I'm considering purchasing. For those with experience in fiberglass repair, how difficult would the repair be based on the damage shown in the pics, and how permanent would it be?

Attached Files:

2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    That is a pretty big break. I could fix it. First thing I would do is grind away any loose or very thin remnants in the break area. Then I would take a dremel and ruff up the back side of it and around it. Then I would take the fiberglass gel and paint it in, then cut some fiberglass matting and set it in, then cover with fiberglass gel. Let it cure, then do the outside the same. Make sure to ruff up anything you are going to put the fiberglass gel on. Let it all cure, then grind off excess. Also finish the backside so nothing is protruding or causing it not to set on the decklid. Finish the exposed side with a skim of bondo and sand and paint. Tadaaaaaaaaaaaa! done. I think I could have it ready for paint in 4-5 hours time.
    Dan

3. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Thanks for your very informative reply, Dan. So what's a reasonable price to pay for one in this condition?

4. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    Price? you got me there, the spoilers are getting harder to find. Seems all have a break in them somewhere. I paid $100.00 for mine a couple years ago with the end pieces. Mine was not real nice and had a break.
    Dan

5. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Thanks again, Dan. (y)

6. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    be careful when you take it off the trunck, you're going to need it to stay in 1 piece to fix it right, but fiberglassing isn't all that hard, wear rubber gloves

7. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Dan, not trying to disagree but looking at where that brake is it looks like it has to be at one of the mounting points. And since that pc is broke all the way off it is not going to be easy to fix. Knowing your talents you could fix it but the rest of us might have a little more trouble.

I would want to see it off the lid and see what it looks like on the backside. If you get the quater extensions you might be able to get an after market center section. Just depends on your skill level and how much effort you are willing to put into it.

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    If you had all or most of the pieces you could use some JB Weld and glue them back together. Also you could stuff some screen in the cavity and use something like Marhide to mold it. Incase your not familiar with the stuff, Its kinds like green bondo with fiberglass mixed in. Its pretty strong stuff. We call it gorilla snot.

9. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Thanks for all the input guys. Well, for better or worse, I bought it. $50 cdn with the trunk lid, so if nothing else, I guess I have a spare trunk lid and a spoiler I can practice my fiberglass skills on. :) The guy who has it says the mounting studs aren't damaged, but I haven't picked it up yet, it's about 40 miles away. So I'll find out how bad it is when I get out there.

10. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    I'd say $40-$50 tops. I sold end caps for $45. That was without the center piece.
    I would say it is almost useless without the expense/time of repairing the center.

Seth

11. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    It's from a 70 Grabber! Does he have the whole car? Maybe you can score more parts.

12. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Unfortunately Corbin, the only other part he has from that car is the driver's door. He has a complete '74 4-door w/V8 though.

13. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Well, I now have the spoiler at home. The gentleman I purchased it from gave me some extra tips on how to deal with the repair and I believe if I take my time with it, it'll turn out well. I don't mind putting some time and effort into this because this is a learning experience for me. I also won the matching end caps on his eBay auction, so I'll have all three pieces. Thanks again to all who replied.

14. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    Thanks Ward dude! And you have a good point, with that break it is very very important to keep it in a straight line when making the bond, that will be the crucial part of it. I just fixed a spoiler last weekend, was not as bad as the one pictured. I used fiberglass on both sides with matting. Once I ground the fiberglass I then used marhyde, it is great for repairs like this, just like Dennis stated. The one on my car now was broken nearly as bad as the one pictured here. I am going to keep it and get it straighter for the 71, I redid that one in a flash to get me done enuff for the 03 Roundup.
    Dan