Sprint Pinstripes

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jsarnold, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    I found red 1/4" red pinstripes at Advance that look like the right shade. But, I'm looking for advice on the blue stripes. The orginal blue pin stripes are now a lot lighter than the Grabber Blue paint. But, originally, were they lighter for a little contrast or did they match the Grabber Blue? Anyone know? Or better yet, anyone have a source for original colored tapes?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Color should be darn near spot on for the blue...as for the red I believe Mavaholic has the 3 M code for the red stripes.I remember it being posted in a thread...

3. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Thanks. :Handshake I'll do some more searches. Didn't find anything the first time.

I could see it looking good either way -- match or lighter for transition. The faded blue stripe looks pretty good I think but gotta go with original.:thumbs2:

4. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Collection of Mavericks and Comets
    The blue stripe on my Sprint looks just like yours. I'll be interested to know what you use.

5. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    looking at the front edge of the blue stripe where its not faded, it looks like the same color of grabber blue.

6. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    What I have written down from other posts is 9A-Wimbledon White, 3F-Grabber Blue, Red tape-3m #72604 150'roll. Not sure on the blue though.:)

7. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    I'll look for Grabber Blue pinstripes and let you guys know what I find. I've looked thru about 1000 threads searching for info on Sprint pinstripes but didn't find much. PMed Mavaholic to see if he still has the red 3M code.

BTW, the "red" stripe on my hood wasn't red but rather its an EXACT match for the blue decal. But where it continues on the cowl, it IS red. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and is certain that's original. His father-in-law, now desceased, was the first owner so I think that's probably right.

I like the blue stripe better and if it was really done that way from the factory I'd keep it blue (and even continue the blue on the cowl). Anyone know if the factory every put blue stripes on the hood?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  8. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    OK, the red is nailed. I'll see if I can find some Grabber Blue 3/4" tape. Or, from what I read while searching, Competition Blue is the same color.

Thanks!

9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    The blue stripe on the hood is part of the decal...Its factory correct I guess you would say to have red stripes on the cowl and just blue on the hood.Too much time to stripe it at the factory with a red pin soo it was incorporated into the blue panels on the hood...

10. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Oh, good. I'll either use 1/4 blue tape or paint the stripe on with the big blue area on the hood. The cowl blue stripe will GO BLUE too. :dancing:

11. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    All Sprints had 1/4 red striping around the blue. Originally the hood decal was made in blue and then the red was applied over the blue on the pinstripe area. Red is one of the worst colors to keep up, and fades very easily. Consequently, on some hoods I have seen the red totally gone so it looks like all blue pinstriping. On the sides of the car they had a 1 1/2" wide stripping tape made, that was 1" of grabber blue, 1/4" of wimbledon white, and 1/4" of red. That way they just took a white car, applied the hood decal, painted the bottom blue on the sides, and ran that special tape along the edge so the pinstripping was perfectly spaced along the length of the side. The blue tape matched the blue paint perfectly. When I redid mine, I painted on all but the 1/4" red striping. If I would of had more time, I would have painted the red pinstriping too, and buried it all in clear. Oh well, maybe next time.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  12. maverick maniac

maverick maniac Banned

Vehicle:
    72 sprint v/8 3 grabbers 73 comet and a 77 comet race car
    I have an NOS strip kit .Bought it of e-bay a while back

13. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    The factory combination striping tape sounds a lot easier than trying to get the individual red and blue tapes on straight on the sides. I don't expect I'll find any NOS striping tape but, if I can get it on straight, some 1/4" 3M red and something like this http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/3ms-72831.html should look close to what's there now. I measured my blue tape on the belt line and its now (might have shrunk?) a hair less than 3/4". But, there's no way you could see a difference between what's there now and the correct shade in 3/4".

I'm not doing clear coat so think it might look better with tape over the boundary. Maybe I'll paint it, see how it looks, and add the 3/4" blue tape if i think it would be an improvement. On the other hand, blue tape isn't an option at the blue/white boundary on the hood, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it on the sides. I'll have to chew on this for awhile. I appreciate everyone's comments.

BTW, Mavaholic, I thought your hood looked great.

14. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Collection of Mavericks and Comets
    This is EXACTLY what the hood on my Sprint looks like. It is original, but I had thought maybe the hood had been replaced. This is really good info. Thanks guys! Now I know that the hood is original. :thumbs2:

15. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I didnt put any clear on mine either. Its real easy to paint on the blue first, then use 1/4 masking tape to get your space, then put on the red pinstriping tape. I was thinking the side tape had 1" of blue but it must have been 3/4" since thats what you have. Its been a while since I've seen any. The problem with the factory tape is it eventually shrinks, cracks, and fades. The wider it is, the worst it is. Thats why the hood decals always looked so bad after a few years in the sun. I would paint all the blue. JMO.