Square Face Radio CD Player Install In An Early Maverick

Discussion in 'Audio' started by predfan2001, May 17, 2010.

1. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    This is nothing new to most of you, but I figured that I'd snap a few pics while I'm in the process of installing a new CD player in my 70 Maverick so others could see the process if they ever need to do it..

I really dreaded cutting out the radio mount for the sleeve, but with the proper tools it only took about 15 minutes to get it opened up....but it will need some more work to get the sleeve to fit. I'll post the progress as I go.

So here's the objective....to the this radio to fit into the original radio mount.

[​IMG]

At this point, this is my weapon of choice to get the cutting done...a Dremel with a fiber cut off disc.

[​IMG]

First I made the cuts across the top. Only cut out to the outer edge of the round part of the mount....where the original nuts held the radio in.

[​IMG]

Then I found that I couldn't get my Dremel in the bezel to make the cuts across the bottom so I put the mount in the vise and broke out the sawzall. I set it on a lower speed and gently made the cuts. It sliced through very easily...I guess I should have used it for all 4 cuts across the top and bottom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    So here's the 4 cuts I made.

[​IMG]

I found that once again, the Dremel wouldn't really get it to make the cuts so I used it to score the ends as deep as I could. Then I used a large screwdriver to gently bend the parts I was removing back and forth till the broke along the line I had scored.

[​IMG]

So here it is. Next I have to break out the file and do the final fitting of the sleeve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  3. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    No pictures. Post them agn.

4. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    Photobucket is acting up....no pictures I have there are coming up. They should straighten out soon I hope.

You might want to delete the photolinks from your quote....otherwise you are just reposting the same pics over again. Thanks

5. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    I'm placing the lip of the sleeve on the outside of the mount to an idea about how much more metal I need to remove.

[​IMG]

Next I'm using a file to square up the opening and remove about another 1/16" all the way around to get the sleeve to fit. This takes some time but but be patient and the fit will be perfect.

[​IMG]

And here's the final result. A perfect fit. Actually much easier than I had thought it was going to be. Took about 1 1/2 hrs total. I'm gonna clean up the bezel and repaint it before I bend the tabs in the sleeve to lock it in. Then the new radio just slides in and locks into place.

[​IMG]

6. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Ok! I did not intend to repost the pix's - Sorry.
    I C U decided to go w/ a new unit instead of farting around w/ the one U mentioned yesterday. It probably was a gud choice - at least you know it will work. Gud Luck.

7. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    Yup....the old Pioneer was dead. All it would do is light up and nothing more. I desided to try to conquer my fear of new technology and bought one of these new style radios. Plus it was a good deal...nearly 50% off at Electronics Express for $49.95 plus tax.

8. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Good deal:thumbs2: Always liked Kenwood.

9. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I have hade 3 Kenwoods; have one in my Windstar now. I have a Dual in my Comet and I like it a lot better. It has a menu that's more user-friendly and the sound is just as gud if not better.

10. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    The paint dried on the mount so I was finally able to get the radio in.

[​IMG]

With the old radio. I still like the 2 knob style....but the aux. plug in on the new radio will come in handy for an iPod.

[​IMG]

11. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    I did the exact thing but I used a cheap unit that I happen to have lying around and used a sanding disc instead of file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    Yeah that would have been alot easier. My compressor is screwed up right now so I had to do it my hand. I tried the Dremel at first but you don't get a straight line.

I'm getting a new compressor this week I hope.....so life will be easier. Home Depot has their 30 gallon unit on sale but that's another story.

The good thing is that it can be done with as little as a hacksaw, screwdriver and a file. Oh and some patients.

I've sort of had a hard time with speakers. Of course I still want 6X9s in the back but most of the new speakers have fugly (at least to me) speaker grills. I think they are targeted at import guys. I searched for plain grills on ebay and found some listed for boats but they looked cheap. I ended up going with Kenwood rear speakers since they had a fairly conservative grill. While I was looking for a radio, I found some nice 4X6 speakers that were on clearance for $7.00. They sound ok so I may try to adapt one of them to the dash.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  13. facelessnumber

facelessnumber Drew Pittman

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    I think you'll be happy with that Kenwood. I've got an MP145 which is very similar to that, and it's the best car stereo I've ever had. I've got Blaupunkt 6.5's in the kick panels and 6x9's in the back, (they come with very clean, plain grilles BTW) a Kenwood 625 watt amp in the trunk powering two JL 8" subs. I am hugely happy with it.

I must be a knuckle-dragging gorilla though, because it never occurred to me to try something so precise as a Dremel to open up that mount. I just used a 4" angle grinder. :D

14. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    I just got my Kenwood 6X9s and I'm sad to say....my $7.00 4x6 speakers sound better. Dang it!

15. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    round 6" will sound better than those! :bouncy: