Stallion Paint Scheme question...

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by A_Bartle, Dec 15, 2004.

1. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    As some of you already know, my first car was a '76 Maverick Stallion (which was really my first true "love", lol) with a 302 V8. I had that car till I went to college, and to this day, regret selling it. I used to do bumping and painting in my teens, and yes, I even painted the Maverick in it's later years. Mine was black and silver, but when I re-painted it (like many others) I went with the gloss black. However, you know how the two tone portions were separated with a thick/thin black stripe? Well, at that time I didn't purchase new stripes, I actually bought some 3/4" 3M striping in red to divide the black and sliver. It looked pretty good actually, it tied in nicely with the red stallion logo on the front fender. However, if I ever find another Maverick (either a real Stallion, or if I create a clone) I would want to make it more like the original. I'm sure most of you out there with Stallions have had them re-painted, and I know the tape is not available (thankfully the Stallion logo is still available, cool!) so my question is this. How did you create the break? Do you paint the silver (or the other colors available for the center part) and then tape off the black? Do you use pin stripe to create the smaller secondary "line" that frames the center color? Is there a "paint edge" left behind, or are there some cool tricks in getting it done correctly to look "factory". Actually, a professional paint job done right would be better than using the "factory" stripe kit, but I don't know if there are any tricks to getting it right. Of course, I don't even have a Maverick yet to start on, but I have been dreaming a long time, and maybe soon I will actually be able to start searching. I beleive, to have it look "correct" with the right size bumpers, I can search for a range of '74 to '77, and still have it look correct. Of course my utimate dream would be to find an actual '76 Maverick Stallion, but that may not happen. If I could find something to work with in a 2-door model with a black interior, I would be pretty happy. Anyway, all you "Stallion" owners, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just thinking about that car gives me goose bumps, lol.

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I dont own a Stallion but I can tell you it is a pretty simple desigh to duplicate just by masking off with masking tape. If it were me painting one, I'd paint the color first, using base coat in a 2 stage paint. Next I'd tape off the design, then paint the black in a base coat. Then I'd remove the masking tape And shoot the whole car with lots of clear. Then sand it with real fine paper, and shoot more clear on it. Keep doing this until you can not feel any edges between colors. Then buff it all out. It would look real sharp and would also give lots of depth to the car.

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Mavalolic said it all. I have painted mine twice. The last time being in 1984. So mine is done in acrylic enamel, yes it has edges for the pinstripes. As for the factory paintjob on Stallions, I wont have a crappy paintjob like that on anycar ever again.
    Dan

4. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    The way Mavaholic describes is just the way we did ours. By painting the first color, (black) and then the second color in basecoat, you all but eliminate the tape lines when the clearcoat is applied. The most time consumming part is masking the car off for the second color. It took the better part of one day for me to get ours taped off before the car could be clearcoated.

5. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    Here's a picture of our Stallion that we just got painted a month ago. It's not finished which is evident by the missing fender badges and a few other things. The entire car was done in PPG basecoat clearcoat, wetsanded and buffed. You can't feel the tape lines on the car. That would not be possible with single stage paint.

6. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Between yours, Dan's, and Wess's at Carlisle next year, everyones going to think Stallions only came in black & red. Hope Wilber shows up.

7. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    It does seem as if black and red and black and silver were the most popular color combinations. Has anyone ever seen a Stallion painted in the black and blue or the black and white combo?

8. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    I have only seen 2 other factory red Stallions. Most of them I have seen have been either yellow or silver, with yellow being the most I have seen. Dont know if yellow was the highest production number.
    Dan

9. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Red, yellow, and silver are the only colors I have ever seen. Did they come in any other colors?

10. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    White, and if my memory is correct I think I remember seeing 1 blue one.
    Dan

11. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Yup, 5 colors were available. I seen all but a blue one.

12. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    Stallion colors

Ditto with Dan, I remember seeing a white one and a blue one, then I think I ran across a yellow one as well. It used to be a thrill for me to see one, even in their "hay day" in the late 70's, they were pretty unique. It would be interesting to know if there is a break down on the colors that Ford produced. I would think that the silver model would have been the most popular, as it was the one featured in almost all the Ford advertisments and brochures, and the masses tend to follow what is presented (but that might not be the case). Of course (because I had on, lol) my favorite is the silver and black combo, but honestly I get a thrill from seeing "any" Stallion. My friend and I stopped last year in Oct. and saw Wilbur's Stallion (on the way home from the Hershey Car Show). My friend "arranged" it as a surprise to me, as he located it and talked to Wilbur. I can't tell you how emotional it made me, I was almost speechless. Wilbur even let me drive it, how cool! Makes me wonder, from the 200 plus Stallions left, is mine one of them, or has it reached the chrusher! If I ever get the chance to attend any Maverick events, I think I'm going to write down my vin number and take it with me. If "mine" is still alive, I think I would pass out, lol. Man, I have a lot of awesome memories with that car, wish I would have held onto it... guess it's just another one of lifes decisions that I'll regret. Anyway, hope everyone is looking forward to a wonderful holiday!

13. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    You don't say were you are from, but if you want to see a bunch of Stallions in one place at one time, you should try to make it to the All Ford Nationals in Carlisle, Pa. There will be at least three of them there, possibly four if Wilber brings his. It's a fantastic show to see and meet other Maverick and Comet owners from all over the country.

14. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    I'm from Michigan, and for the last 3 years, myself and my best friend have gone down to the Hershey Car show in October (tons of cool cars, only saw one Maverick in 3 years, and it was a mustard yellow 4-door). Yeah, I would love to attend the Ford Nationals, I'll have to watch for more info. When is it? It's hard for me to get away, my wife doesn't think too much of these car shows, lol.

15. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    The funny thing is, my best bud (who also loves old cars) has worked for GM for over 20 years. Dragging him to a huge "FORD" event would be kind of a kick. He couldn't tell his fellow co-workers about that one, lol.