Starter clicks and then the voltage drops out

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tumbler, Jun 22, 2024.

1. Tumbler

Tumbler Member

Vehicle:
    73 Ford Maverick
    I'm having this start up problem that currently has me stumped. Anytime I try to crank the engine, the starter motor will let out a loud click, and then the power drops out and nothing happens. Once I stop trying to crank it, the power returns to all the accessories. The headlights, radio, and gauges turn on normally. I had this issue happen a few times last year, but now it's stuck like this.

So far what I've found is if I measure the battery voltage at the main terminals and try to crank it with a remote starter switch connected to the solenoid, the voltage will drop from 12.6 to around 5.6. The click is almost certainly coming from the starter itself, and it's quite loud. I can feel it if I touch the motor. The starter cable jumps a bit when power is sent through it. I tried using a battery charger on it with the engine start function with the same results.

I've replaced the battery and the starter motor. The positive batter cable and the starter motor cable are also new. I have two new starter solenoids that I've tried swapping out. One is Motorcraft, and the other is Autolite. I've tested out all of the terminals of solenoids and battery with a multi-meter, and they seem to check out. I also thoroughly cleaned up the engine ground and bolts for the starter solenoid ground with a wire brush on a dremel tool.

Any ideas on what to try next? I think I may take the battery in to get tested.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Since the cable "jumps" the starter is apparently drawing excessive current.

Loosen starter bolts three or four turns and give it a good shake, retighten. If problem is same starter is defective, wrong or motor is locked up.

3. Tumbler

Tumbler Member

Vehicle:
    73 Ford Maverick
    I removed the radiator and fan today to get to the crankshaft bolt, so I could see if I could get the engine to turn by hand. When I drained the coolant, I noticed there was a layer of oil floating at the top. I went to remove all the spark plugs, and when I got to the #8 cylinder a bunch of coolant poured out. After I moved the car on to the driveway I noticed there was stuff dripping off that part of the engine. I guess it was coolant.

This is going to be more trouble than I hoped.

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Eeeech!!!! :eek:

At the least you have a leaking head gasket.

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber