steering box adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cenc1984, May 3, 2008.

1. cenc1984

cenc1984 killa 72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    i have about 2in. of play in my steering wheel . How do i adjust the box. I have a chiltons and a moters manuels and they dont help. thanks pops

2. Blown74

Blown74 Member

Vehicle:
    74 302 blown- 68 Shelby Gt 500- 69 Cougar XR7 428 ram air
    box adjustment

Neither of your manuals explains the box adjustment? Anyway, there is a nut on the top of the box. 11/16 th I believe, loosen that nut just a bit and turn the adjuster ( the thing inside the nut) in with a large screwdriver. Maybe a 1/4 turn at a time. Best done with the frt end off the ground. You should also refill the box with grease. (Take out 2 of the top cover bolts, fill into one until it comes out the other) Be aware that this adjustment can easily be made too tight and any adjustment you do to the box will NOT compensate for other worn out and /or damaged frt end/steering parts. Good luck !!

3. cenc1984

cenc1984 killa 72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    thank you for the help!i was very careful not to over tighten . i left some play for extra safty . i also fill the box with grease it took about 1.5 tubes. i posted about 2weeks ago about front end aligenment .I took it to the shop got it done right!!!!!!