Steering Wheel Choice

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Mav Dude, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Mav Dude

Mav Dude Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    What is a good steering wheel choice on a budget.

A friend of mine is going to clean out his garage this month (beeen saying that for a year) and he swears that he has an old 78 mustang steering wheel with a horse head on it. He remembers it was in decent shape and says it has a horse head on it like a stallion logo.

Anyway my son's steering wheel is shot and I was looking for a cheap fix.

What ideas do you have?

2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    The '78 Sport Steering wheel you are referring to is hands-down the best choice. They are not cheap though, as they sell on eBay for anywhere from $75 to $150. If your friend has one for you, grab it...

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Definately, by far, hands down, the best wheel for these cars IMO is the sport wheel. One of my friends is about to part out his '78 Mustang II and it took me all of about 10 seconds to call first dibs on the sport wheel and floor shifter in it. :) It has the Stallion logo in it also.

4. Mav Dude

Mav Dude Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Thanks Guys picked it up a few minutes ago. His son knew right where it was. The center has a small crack and the leather is faded but should pop back with some shoe polish. have to see what I can do about bringing the spokes back up to shine. any recommendations? I'll post a pic once I get a chance to clean it up.

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    The spokes I don't think were ever shiney. They have a brushed/dull look to them from the factory.

6. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Being that the spokes are a cheaper grade of Stainless Steel, they may have some small rust spots on them. I actually bead-blasted the spokes on mine (masked off the plastic hub and the leather rim, of course). Steel wool can also do the trick, but will require more physical effort. You can then spray some stainless steel cleaner on them, or do what I did, which was to paint them semi-flat black. In any case, the center cap looks best painted semi-flat black--regardless of whether you leave the spokes stainless or paint them black...