Stripes

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by johnip, Nov 9, 2010.

1. johnip

johnip Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Hey everyone, first post here.

I've had my '71 Grabber for about 10 years and have finally decided to start restoring it now that I have a steady job.:yahoo:

I bought it from my uncle when I was fifteen and took my drivers license test in it. We did some engine work on it while I was in high school, but that's where we stopped. It was neglected while I was off at college and then some, and hasn't been cranked in about 6 months. I just swapped out the battery and cables (tired of messing with sideposts) and will get her going this week!

I'm sure to have many questions, but my first is in regards to the stripe kit you can buy off Autokrafters. Specifically the reflective set. My car is white with the black and orange reflective stripes and I'm wondering how the repo's compare to the originals. My uncle decided to remove them about a month before he sold me the car and stopped halfway through. :huh: It will be a while before I get to the point of redoing the decals, but I've wanted those new stripes since I saw them in the catalog in 2002.:rant2:

The stripes on my car are gold when they reflect and I like that. Are the repo stripes the same? Or have my stripes turned gold after 39 years? There are no pictures of them in action so to speak, and I am curious.

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Welcome to the board.:Welcome:

3. Streetdeacon

Streetdeacon Streetdeacon

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2dr.
    :Welcome: from the great NW. Don't know on the stripes but there should be plenty on here that do. :tiphat:

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
  5. johnip

johnip Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I'm aware that there are no original stripes to be had, I'm just wondering how the repo ones look when they reflect. If the shine back bright pink or something I'll just get the plain black ones when the time comes. :)

I did look at graphic-express last night and at least the show real photos. Still nothing demonstrating the reflective stripes though. Also, what is the trunk stripe that isn't included with any of the sets?

6. johnip

johnip Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Anyone have these stripes??

7. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
  8. 71nogo

71nogo Member

Vehicle:
    71 grabber
    try phoenix graphics. they make them how you want,they already have them in stock, and they may have what you want.

9. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973

The trunk stripe they are talking about is like a pin stripe that is on the spoiler. Looks like the thin green stripe on the spoiler in this picture

72mavstripes3_original.jpg

Or the white stripe in this picture
    74_grabber_018.jpg
    74_grabber_018.jpg

10. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    best pic of a trunk stripe I could find. Like the others didn't give you the idea. But anyway I started looking and couldn't quit so here is one more....

mav205.JPG

11. 71nogo

71nogo Member

Vehicle:
    71 grabber
    but i think thats only on the two tone paint.

12. strokermaverick

strokermaverick Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick 2 door/ 420 c.i. stroker, converted to small bumpers ('73 Maverick 2 door 302 a/c p/s c-4 SOLD) '69.5 Maverick 2 door 200 c.i. c-4
    In reguards to your question about the color of the reflection; I bought the reflective black, trimmed in orange kit from Phoenix Graphix. The black reflects back as silver, as the original stripes do. The quality of the stripes is second to none. They are cut very cleanly, and as far as I can see, are as high of quality as the originals. If you buy from them, I think you will be very pleased. The cost was 249.oo. The site is phoenixgraphix.com Also, if you click on famous claims, you will see where they did several movie cars, such as the General Lee.:tiphat:

13. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I have a 71 Grabber ... and reflective stripes .. they reflect white just like original ...

1971 Grabber did not have pinstripe on rear decklid ... that was added in 1972.

First two pics are original stripes before I restored my car ... last one with my son is are the re-pops ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. johnip

johnip Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Thank you very much for all the photos guys. I guess mine have just aged badly and turned gold. (what's left of them is dry and peeling) ;)

My dad and I got it cranked up last week with a little help from a can of ether (been sitting for 6 months). This weekend I changed the oil and scrubbed off all the algae we grow here in Georgia. :16suspect Now I've got to strategize what order to do everything in. It runs pretty good once you get going, but it doesn't like to idle in gear and wants to stall out when you punch it, so that's the first steps. Then onto body/paint/interior. :hide: