Stripping Grabber decals

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by IDTag, Sep 7, 2008.

1. IDTag

IDTag Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber
    Anyone have a good method for stripping the Grabber decals? My decals are cracked and I'm going to do a paint job. The paint is good so I don't want to use paint stripper. If I can just remove the decals without messing up the paint it'd be a lot easier.

I have a heat gun with an adjustable temp. Thought about that but don't know if it'd be hot enough to bubble the paint.

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    If there still the original ones, good luck. Mine were rock hard. The DA sander and paint stripper took care of them. I doubt a heat gun will do anything.

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    We used a heat gun to remove the decals from the Grabber we did this past spring. The hood decal was still the factory decal, and the heat gun did soften it up enough to peel it off....one small piece at a time. It can be done without heating up the paint to the point where it bubbles. Just don't hold the heat gun over the same spot for more than a few seconds at a time. If you use a razor blade or some other sharp edged tool to lift up the edge of the decal, you may still get little digs in the paint here and there.

4. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    3-M sells a rubber "eraser" that you mount to a drill it is for removing tape pinstripes and lettering it will remove your decals with out hurting the paint.I dont have the part # handy(its at work) I will look tomorrow and post it to this thread for you in the evening.I have had good luck with this product.

5. mavdog71

mavdog71 Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick Grabber
    I used a single edge razor blade in a holder at a slite angle and worked across the decal at a 45 deg. angle front to back . If you take your time you will not have to much paint damage .

Jay

6. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

3m Rubber Ersaser will take it right off with no harm to the paint.

7. IDTag

IDTag Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber
    I've got one of those. Used on the daughter's Maxima and it worked really well. Didn't know if it would work on the old hardened decals. Will give it a shot.