Surface Rust . . . What to do first?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by David, Jul 8, 2002.

1. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick 1972 Maverick
    I have a 1970 Maverick that I want to begin to restore that has some surface rust. I have seen what rust can do to a car and I want to protect the body from rusting through. I am not prepared to paint the whole car at this time. I just want to stop any further damage from rust. I have read some other threads on this board and I noted that it is not a good idea to just primer it and let it go because the problem will only come back. Any suggestions:confused: Also, what is the best way to remove the rust. I have access to electricity and I have an electric grinder. I do not have an air compressor. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks:)

2. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    I had surface rust on my hood. I sanded, then primered it. Sure enough, rust came back. They actually sell some anti-rust stuff you can buy and spray on b4 primer.

Although I learned from this board that they spray can stuff might not be the best, maybe if you have access to a sprayer.

3. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    Unfortunately I do not have access to a sprayer.:( Since I am at the very beginning of the restoration process. I guess I was thinking "Lets take care of the rust before it has a chance to eat through the metal".

I was even thinking about doing a quick and dirty for time sake, and sand it down to the bare metal in the areas that are the worst and then primer it and spray it with some kind of sealer or paint . . . just for now (with the stuff you buy in a spray can); knowing that it would have to sanded and primed again once I got the $$$ and setup etc. to do it right. This may sound like double duty, but my first priority is to get rid of the rust and protect the metal. Maybe I am wrong on this. That is why I am posting the problem here. I have not done anything like this since High School and that has been a while, and from reading the board you guys are a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks again for any advice on this.

4. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    Help!!!

I have been thinking about this some more. Since I have quite a bit of surface rust (metal solid), what would be the best way to go at this? Maybe I have been looking at this wrong?

Would it be adequate to use a disc sander or use some kind of chemical paint stripper? Or maybe some of the chemical rust convertors etc.? If I bite the bullit and buy an air compressor what are the advantages and disadvantages of using it? If I go with the spray gun, what should I look for? Any major differences in equipment? I am really green at this as you probably can tell.

I went to Borders Books and More to look for a good body repair book, but nothing that I was really looking for. I was rather surprised that they didn't have more of a selection on this topic.

How have you guys tackeled your project cars? I thought I should start with the rust first because I know it can cause me more problems later if ignored rather than starting on the engine or interior. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!!:D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2002
  5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Primers are a metal treatment that helps paint stick better. Primers are also porous. They are like a sponge and will actually absorb water. Thats why rust reappears. Any rust should be completely sanded off. Prime first then use a good quality glossy paint for a top coat. I dont like chemical strippers because it's hard to completely get them out and the can eventually lift your new paint.

6. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks that does help!

What about sanding? What is the best method for sanding? In regards to type of sandpaper etc. I know I need to have something abrasive enough to get the rough surface rust off, but I scratch up the bare metal either.

What is the best process? Suggestions?

7. 357 Grabber

357 Grabber Maverick DieHard

Vehicle:
    2 71 grabbers,72 Maverick , son has a 73 maverick
    If you are going to wait a while to pait the car. the best way I did this very same thig is to sand with about 100 or higher number paper, wipe dry then I used rustoleum oil based paint in a can and a sponge brush. It seals well and when you get ready to pain the car just remove it with laquern thinner, do the body work and rock on !
    HTH

8. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice; this is probably what I will be looking at doing. I just want buy myself some time and get rid of the rust before I jump into painting it right away vs. just letting the car sit there while the rust continues to eat away at the steel!

Thanks everybody for the advice!!!:cool:

9. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    rust etching

If you ask any body man worth a damn, he'll tell you that the only way to remove surface rust without it re-appearing is to etch the area after sanding it bare. It has to be an acidic solution. There are several types commercially available at body shop suppliers. The one recommended to me is "Rust Mort" by SEM. The problem with sanding and just primering is that the rust hides in very small hoes in the metal and can't always be reached by sanding, no matter how vigerously you do it or how much metal you take down. You need to chemically stop the rust. These acidic solutions do just that. One word of caution. These are corrosive and will irritate skin if precautions are not taken. Folow the directions on the product for it's use for it to work right. If you don't take the time to do it by the instructions, it may not work right. Good luck!

10. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    go to a body shop supply house...

and there you will find a person behind a counter who can guide you. There are some very very expensive primer/sealers out there that pro resto shops are using that will fight what little rust you do not get when sanding ( little pinholes and such). But if you are just learning this type of stuff you will be like the rest of us in the beginning and spend countless dirty hours only to end up with a less than satisfying result. Then you will do it over again, or you will sell it. Happens all the time. This is how we gain experience and how we get good at this thing called body and paint. For those who still do not understand what I am talking about it is called practice. That is the only way to get good and it helps to find someone who you can help on their project that you can learn from. That is what I did, I went over to dudes who were building cars and volunteered my help. You might get the worst jobs like scraping old undercoat but within all this you will see how things are done right. I am glad to say I have also had dudes spend time with me over the years to learn from me. None of it comes easy, and you will be tired, dirty, frustrated and financially poor at times. If you are a true car freak, it is all worth it, if not you will find another hobby.
    Good Luck!
    Dan