surface rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mavtricks71, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

theres very minor surface rust in my doors, whats a good paint to spray in the doors?

2. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I learned a lot from the body man that helped me with the 4 door prep. If you just sand the rust down, it likely will reoccur because of the tiny pits that develop in the metal that you can't see after sanding, but are there. You need to use an acid etching primer after sanding and before painting to put an end to the rust. You can use any paint you want to finish after this. I used U-Pol Acid #8 in a rattle can. This is a German made product that has a great reputation for quality. It is available through auto body suppliers. One caution though...NOT CHEAP STUFF!!

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have used many different products over the years. Por 15 and Bill Hirsch products have really impressed me. Wes has given you an excellent item as well to use. If the rust is very light and is inside a door, I usually just spray it with Duplicolor rust killer, or rust ender. I used this exclusivley on my Suburban in a few areas and have been very satisfied so far. Anyways, it is available from Autozone, O'Reillys and places like that. It is a bit cheaper than the bodyshop variety, but as in everything, you get what you pay for. Also, if price is a factor, any rattle can paint with zinc in it will help. Wes also raises a very very good point, when sanding rust you really dont get down into the pits, so while you are there, you might as well use something good.
    Dan

Dan

4. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I bought Hirsch engine paint, but haven't has a chance to use it yet. There was an interesting test article in "Auto Restorer" magazine a while back where someone took the time and effort to do a side-by-side test of POR-15 and Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, similar products. The author (no affiliation with either product or the magazine) simulated, lab style, two years of weather and severe exposure to one large body panel half done with POR and half with Eastwood. The verdict was that Eastwood was a better product, also cheaper. It was also easier and smoother to apply. Now, it is very possible to dispute the test, but it raises good questions about the products.

Dan is right about there being cheaper products than the U-Pol, but he is also right about gettingwhat you pay for. We put a lot of time, money, and love into our cars. If I have learned anything over the years, it's that when you cheap out, you end up paying for things twice. The second time is usually more expensive than the first.

5. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

so....is the ENCAPSULATOR a rust killer??? i have very light rust in doors...... so im still kinda confused on what i should use