That vinyl roof

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Lord-D, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Lord-D

Lord-D Member

I've been working on my 72 comet, and can't decide what to do with the vinyl roof. I won't be working on it anytime soon, so I have all winter to think. The vinyl top was gone when I bought it, and the only thing on the top of the car are the brackets and lots of rust and glue. The sheet metal appears to be okay. So, which is easier/cheaper - when I get it all painted, buy a new vinyl top to put on it, or remove the glue and brackets and have it be a regular hardtop car? If so, how would I do this? Do I have to grind off the brackets, and if I do that, then what do I do?

2. ra3psd

ra3psd Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick grabber
    Really depends on what you want to do. Around our area, it's about $150 to replace the vinyl top, removal and replacement. As far as leaving it off, I would think you would have to at least grind the brackets off, but don't know for sure, as mine did not have the vinyl roof. :huh:

3. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    you definitly want to treat that rust. if you paint it you will have to do alot more body work to get the surface smooth. if you put the vinal top on then you dont have the same level of cost of body work. i suspect that it will cost about the same to do it either way.

4. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I tried all manner of removing that glue, and ended up using a dual action sander :(

Yes, you can expect all kinds of "It will come off with this, or that" but in reality, that stuff isn't glue anymore, but old hard plastic, and adhesive removers aren't going to cut it.

The brackets had to be ground off.

5. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    DA sander and 36 or 80 grit to sand it. I personaly like vinyl tops. Not many cars have them anymore and to me it adds to that classic look.

6. ladyeclectic79

ladyeclectic79 Veni, vidi, vici

Vehicle:
    A '73 and a '70 Maverick
    Definitely treat the rust!!! The car we've got now had its vinyl roof removed then left untreated in a coastal town, and we've been working hard getting the multiple holes patched/welded. Definitely hit it with some sandpaper then a rust-treating primer/paint (preferably waterproof).

7. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    Treat it & spray it with truck bedliner. Still kinda has that vinyl top look w/o the hassle of maintaining a vinyl top.

8. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    73 four door, 74 starsky&hutch mav, a 93SHO, an 03 gt, and a 94 gt