The end is nigh? Camry outsold Silverado in April, gunning for F-Series

Discussion in 'Ford Industry News' started by Mav.bot, May 19, 2008.

1. Mav.bot

Mav.bot Member

Filed under: Car Buying, Trucks/Pickups, Plants/Manufacturing, Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, Earnings/Financials
    [​IMG]

Could the reign of Ford's F-Series atop the sales charts in the U.S. come to an end? Some believe that it could indeed happen, and it's not even another pickup truck that is threatening the Blue Oval's bread-and-butter full-size pickup, it's the Toyota Camry. Let that sink in for a moment... alright, let's continue. The Camry already posted better sales numbers than the Chevy Silverado, the perennial second-best seller to the F-Series, for the month of April. In fact, the Silverado suffered a sales drop of 24.7 percent to 37,231 units while the Camry grabbed 40,016 sales in the same month. Still, even after the Camry's great sales month, the Silverado holds the edge when the entire year-to-date sales numbers are compiled, and the F Series still sits atop the list for now. Consider too that the Ford truck will get a major redesign for the upcoming model year. So, while high gas prices will likely continue to put pressure on full-size pickups, let's not jump to hasty conclusions just yet.

[Sources: Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, the Auto Channel]
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

2. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    As ugly as Fords are nowadays, they deserve it.

3. jmgford

jmgford Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick, '69 Fairlane 351, '12 F-150, '02 ZX2
    They will have to sell more to make up for the Toyota pickups they will be crushing because they are rusting in half. This will be kept relatively hush hush by the import loving media.

4. SlotlessMan

SlotlessMan A squirrel and his nut

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    F series vs Camry. Good propaganda but seems apples and oranges to me.

:huh:

5. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i think the f-series is the number 1 selling vehicle of all time but the camery is the number one selling car. the point is that soon the camry wont have to share the #1 position

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    If your ever driving anywhere, and theres a car in your lane, that just won't speed up, and is slowing everyone down it's a frickin Toyota!! I wish I could do the pit maneuver on them, and those stupid little EHCO's, they must love it when all they can see in their rear view mirror is the grill of my GMC Savana (filling the whole mirror). Everyone that that buys a Toyota should be forced to cut the grass for a retired UAW worker. Sorry but I really can't stand Toyota. My brother-in-law bought a new Honda, he's not allowed to park it in my driveway.:rant:

7. 302mav76

302mav76 Isaac Serna

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick
    hahahaha man, you've spent a lot ot time playing GTA! You're my hero! lol:bowdown:

8. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Damn, now I wish I would have got a pic of that Tacoma in the local Pull-A-Part that was rusted in half. The frame was rusted and completely buckled between the cab and bed. Something else you never hear much about is the metal fatigue problems on those FJ Cruiser's. Toyota did a good job of keeping that one on the down low, I guess. I'll never own a Toyota.

9. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I think the point of the article is the all the folks in the last decade that have been buying trucks, big SUVs, and my personal favorite... HD diesel trucks, for the sole purpose of getting groceries and dropping the kids at school.

Those folks are the ones that really F'd things up for the folks that need and use trucks, especially HD diesels! I can't stand seeing a big 4 door F350 PSD truck, often 4wd, being driven daily by a lady, just toting kids and food. Burns my hide! You see it all the time. At least I do. They are the reason that diesel prices are past gas prices. They are the reason that diesel engines have gone from a $3k option to $10-12k. They are the reason that the EPA has put diesel engines and HD trucks under a microscope... Emissions and mileage wise.

If they had just left the big trucks and diesels to the working man, we'd still be able to run them. The federal govt is now killing the truck drivers and construction workers that depend on diesel for a living.:mad:

Btw, did I mention Ford trucks are butt ugly nowadays?
    Wouldn't catch me in a late model.
    I'll just keep rebuilding my HD vans and 7.3 PSDs.
    They can shove the 6.0 PSD and 6.4 PSD. Pure junk IMO.

Edit:
    I was ranting so hard, I got off topic! :D
    The point is that these wannabes are going to start driving Toyotas now, and leave us working types to deal with high fuel prices. They shoulda been in cars all along... baztards.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  10. jmgford

jmgford Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick, '69 Fairlane 351, '12 F-150, '02 ZX2
    Like this one?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008