tips????

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 72maverick200, Apr 14, 2009.

1. 72maverick200

72maverick200 Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick 200 striaght six
    ok so a week ago i picked up my 72 mavy. Its my first and wont be my last. Now the good fiberglass fenders and hood strong running 200 with 3 speed c-4 interior almost perfect with two minor holes in front seat everything else peachy. floor pans not so hot lol both front floor pans are rusted...badly rusted but mostly from the bend to firewall(5 inches past dimmer switch on drivers side nd same on passenger side if it would have a dimmer switch lol) but as i pulled the carpet up ive noticed that the correct me if im wrong torque boxes? under this are are severly rotted. how should i go about fixing this? has anyone done it? and please no just get rid of it answers lol no matter wat it takes this car isnt leaving my hands. IM IN LOVE WITH IT!!! lol

2. mbg1973

mbg1973 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 MAVERICK 2DR
    Start welding :D

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Get some good torque boxes from a donor as well as floor pans.Or make early mustang pans fit(thats what i did) Check the cowls to see if they are rotten...sumpin made the floor rot!!!Coulda been bad windshield weather stripping too.
    To check the cowls pour some water into the cowl air intake...(grill between hood and windshield)If it comes into the car under the dash at both sides(passenger side only if the car is an A/C car)Good luck!!!

4. 72maverick200

72maverick200 Member

Vehicle:
    thanks for the input. I know it will be worth the work when im done. ill be posting progress images very soon. To tell the truth before i bought the car i never heard of a maverick but now im love struck lol

5. 72maverick200

72maverick200 Member

Vehicle:
    its dark outside i think ill start tommorrow lol

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Two things:

1. Try using some puctuation in your typing. A comma....a period, etc. It makes it very hard on us old folks to figure out what you are saying.
    :D (Need a smiley of an old guy with glasses here)

2. Save yourself a bunch of headaches, and money....and get a different car. If the torque boxes are rusted out....then more than likely so is a lot of the rest of the car. Rust free cars are all over ebay and Craig's lists....and with the current economic condition....they are selling cheap.

7. 72maverick200

72maverick200 Member

Vehicle:
    sorry about the punctuation. (note to self include punctuation:banghead:)

8. bubbajane

bubbajane New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 maverick
    If you want to fix torque boxes and have equipment I have repaired them using rectangle tube and cutting parts out.Then shaping and weldind inafter cutting away bad areas in factory one.