Tire blowout did a number

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by skaz, Mar 28, 2006.

1. skaz

skaz a.k.a. Steeb

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick, 73 El Camino
    So.. going down the freeway, my front driver side tire blows. A lot of swerving ensued, but I made my way to the shoulder all right. But I saw a lot of debris flying over my windshield. I was worried desperately about the car.

So I get out and take a look, at first I just see the blown tire and I make the wheel is fine, because I don't have a spare and can't afford a tow AND a wheel at this particular moment. It's fine. Then I see glass .. my headlight is shattered, or I should say "asploded," completely gone except for the bulb. Also, the front driver side turn signal is gone, completely. The wiring seems to still be there and in good shape, but the bulb and housing vanished somewhere on the road. The bottom-front fender is bent up pretty bad, but I can beat it back no problem, but the car's probably going to need a paint job in the next year or so. And numerous little dents run down the right side of the car and on the front-driver fender including on top, next to the hood. Kinda weird stuff.

So. I definitely need a turn signal (if someone has one, please PM me.) The headlight was easy to replace, but I was having trouble with getting it to stay in it's spot, until I noticed something missing. One off the adjustment standoffs is missing, and the headlight wobbles quite a bit, enough to make me wary of anything but smooth roads. So eh, if someone has something for that, I'd appreciate not having to super glue the thing in place.

BUT, at the tire shop, a piece of tire was found in the brakes. I don't know if it was from this blowout or one previous, but the car pulls much less when driving and braking, so I'm almost pleased that this happened.

Glad I got guys to run to when I've got little issues.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    skaz, how old was the tire and what brand. a couple of years ago i was on the way home from speedworld. got to about mp190 on I-10 near casa grande when a right rear tire on my dually blew. i took it in to big O to get another tire. he asked if the damage to the truck was from the blowout. when i told him it was he said get 3 estimates and they would submit a claim to the manufacturer. they sent me a check for $1100.:)

3. hotrod-daddy

hotrod-daddy Member

Vehicle:
    a 1971 Grabber with a 302/351
    The tire was a.....MAYPOP,the most popular tire anywhere...It may pop any minute....:biglaugh: :rofl2:

4. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Can you post a picture of the damage or at least what the light looks like you are looking for? I have a few spare sport lights around, you could have one for the price of shipping.