To trim or not to trim

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 74merc, Jan 15, 2005.

1. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    it'll be awhile yet, but I have all of the trim from the car, I plan on painting it close to the original color, red with black top.

I haven't decided whether I'll keep the trim or not. My dad says it would look better, and I tend to agree, but most of the really good looking cars left have little in the way of the original trim.

Attached Files:

2. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Trim or no trim really is a matter of taste. I have one car with it and one without and I like them both for different reasons. I think the big-bumpered cars look better with some trim whereas the small bumpered cars look sportier without it. Your car only has the wheel opening and rocker mouldings which are easy to remove, and just as easy to replace if you wanted to. Since you have to remove the trim to paint the car properly anyway, my advice is to paint the car whatever color you're going to paint it and see how you like it. If it needs dressing up, put the mouldings back.

Sam :)

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I agree with Sam here. If you keep the big bumpers, keep the trim. If you went with a custom paint job it would possibly look better without trim but factory paint job needs trim with big bumpers. Just my .02 :D

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I like chrome and stainless trim as long as it's not over done. With the exception of the side molding that runs down the side of the car in the middle, all the other trim on these cars is pretty nice IMO.

5. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    Most people think that the 74 Comet looks better with the trim because in 1974 trim was essential to the car's identity due to the gas crisis and all. However, in the late 90's cars began rebelling and that is when the no-trim phenomenon started (and painted bumpers). Statistics indicate that no-trim is now installed on 45.2 percent of Mavericks. I suggest you be bold and different and install the trim backwards.

Sorry, joke post...please ignore.

6. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    rocker trim on top, side trim on bottom, check!!

I was kinda thinking the same thing guys, just wanted to hear other opinions... honestly I wanted someone to talk me out of the extra work of polishing up the trim and getting it off and on without breaking it.

I'm planning on a somewhat quiet exhaust with dumps so you can't see the duals... keep it as stock looking as I can, but I am dying to get away from the 14 inch rims and tires... I want 15s for technical reasons, but there are no stock 15 inch Comet hub caps...

7. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I agree Big bumper cars look good with trim. The smaller bumper cars look better with less. Then again all mavs look great to me no matter what they have or don't have. Good Luck and post pics of your progress.

8. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I don't like trim (see my 74 below) ... But until I get my own welder .. someday ... it's gonna stay ...

9. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    I like the side trim on Mavericks, I think Dan's 74 looks real good with the side trim.