To vinyl or not to vinyl?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ladyeclectic79, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ladyeclectic79

ladyeclectic79 Veni, vidi, vici

Vehicle:
    A '73 and a '70 Maverick
    This is a very silly question as it's totally in the eye of the beholder, but what is the general concensus on a vinyl roof on a Maverick? Mine originally came with one before the PO tore it off (I can tell by the roof rust we had to weld shut :mad:) and we're thinking of going that route again but I'm just curious what the general concensus is on Mav/Comets with vinyl roofs. I've never seen one in person (heck, I haven't seen too many vinyl roofs period in person barring the occasional convertible), do they detract at all from the value or looks of the car? I'm thinking black vinyl with a deep, almost-black blue paint job (a MavMan hood would certainly make it pop!) but I'm just vascillating on the roof. On the one hand I want it done because it'll be easier than getting everything perfect for paint, but on the other I don't want to get it done then forever cry that I "ruined" my baby.

Any thoughts?

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    If you like the vinyl roof, I say go for it. They look pretty good when they are done right. Get the rust off there before you put it on or you'll have problems in the future. :)

3. ladyeclectic79

ladyeclectic79 Veni, vidi, vici

Vehicle:
    A '73 and a '70 Maverick
    The rust will definitely be gone, it's mostly been ground out and/or neutralized already in preparation. The front lip directly over the windshield was particularly bad; we ground out a good chunk of metal, treated then fiberglassed over the area (we wanted to weld but the 110 we had access to warped the roof and we weren't comfortable using it for so big a job). The Dude suspects the area was already rusting under the previous vinyl before the PO took it off, which makes me worry of course.

What kind of shops do vinyl roofs? I've still got the aluminum border along the edges and was going to follow that, but what kinds of places should I look for?

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    I would think any reputable body shop could do it. I'd call around to a few places and get some quotes. Especially any places that specialize in restorations. :)

5. sportyfamilycar

sportyfamilycar ElMaverick

Vehicle:
    (2) 77' Mavericks
    Vinyl looks good on mavericks :thumbs2:, I would keep mind vinyl if it was garage kept.
    If it's taken care of ;rust removed,murphy's oiled often, or garage kept it should be fine and last years. unfortunately if it sees the elements the life will be shortened.
    I'm painting mine back to keep the 2 tone color scheme and hold up better to the weather but vinyl's look is definitely cool

6. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    Vinyl's cool. There's always somebody at a car show that'll talk to you about that part of the car.

7. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I'm putting my vinyl top back on, it was there from the factory (black on a red car) Mine is in the garage so I'm thinking there will be no worries..... oh and around here upholstery shops do the tops....

8. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    yeah, I follow the advice of keeping them out of rain.

9. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but this will not last. You "might" get 10 years out of it...maybe. Best way to fix rust of this kind is to weld in new metal.