Touch ups/Paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rudyska, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Im not sure what you call this, so maybe I can just describe it.. on the front end of my Maverick below the grill but above the bumper is like a silver plate thing. I want to repaint it myself, just the same flat-silver color it is, but I'd like to clean it up first and then paint it. What do you reccomend I use to clean it? What about paint? I was thinking some type of paint that I could find easily but that would be hardy and not chip or weather real easy.

Another question I have is I live in Colorado, and its snowy here right now. Does the cold weather affect a car's new paint job?

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The part is called a stone guard. You can buy the correct Argent color from places like Eastwood but if you want to go the econo route, just go to any Home Depot and pick up a spray can of Rustoleum Silver. Then sand the thing down with about 320 and shoot a couple of coats on it. It will be shinier than it originally was but you might like it that way.

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    m-72,

"Another question I have is I live in Colorado, and its snowy here right now. Does the cold weather affect a car's new paint job?"
    maybe not the.. "new paint".. but cold/wet is a bad time to prep and or paint :tsk: ....jean doll, could tell you more ...frank...

4. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Another question I have is I live in Colorado, and its snowy here right now. Does the cold weather affect a car's new paint job?

Thanks:yippee: [/QUOTE] As long as the paint is completely dry, cold weather will have no effect on a cars new paint. As for prepping the car or parts for paint, just make extra sure the what ever is going to be painted is clean of all dirt and road salt. If it's just a stone guard you are going to paint, wash it real good with hot, soapy water to get the salt and grime off and then wash it down again with a cleaner designed to remove car wax and anything oily. Make sure it's dry and not too cold then just do as Mavoholic suggested and you should be good to go.