Touching up spots

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rosalindr, Jun 7, 2007.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    The paint job on my 1973 Maverick is wearing thin in some places, like the roof and the spoiler, and there are bare spots on the hood and fenders. I don't have the cash for a proper paint job. Is it worth the effort to touch up the spots, or would that just make it look worse? How do I do it, and how can I match the paint?

Some people at the GoodGuys show told me it's better to keep the original paint than to repaint, because it's original. Is there anything to that? I like having it original, but I want it to look better too.

Roz

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I would polish and wax the car.

Then take off the rear quarter extension and take it in to a professional paint shop and have them mix you up some touch up paint.

3. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I agree with Craig. The only way to match the paint will be a custom mix, since the original has faded over the years and paint in the original color will be a good ways off. Only thing I can add is after you do get the paint mixed, I'd try it on a spot that doesn't show if possible, or on another simular piece of metal. If it is a match, don't forget to remove all that fresh wax you just put on before you touch it up to keep the new paint from lifting.