Tranny Cooler Mounting

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Scotty P, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Curious as to where folks have mounted their coolers. I temporarily have mine in front of the battery tray (batteries in trunk) with the braided line running through the existing cutouts for the battery vent. BUT, I am open to ideas, just want an easy mount to access and service if/when. I was also thinking of a vertical mount along the support for the front clip and grill.. Ideas? Pictures? Scott

2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Scotty; have mine in front of the A/C condensor, with nylon punch straps going through. I have it vertical. You can see it, but it works well there, and the hoses were not a problem to run. Just be sure to tie them up so they won't chafe. Good luck!

Earl

3. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I researched mounting of trans coolers when I decided to put one on my Cherokee because of hauling our new camper. There is a significant difference in efficiency as to where you mount it. The best place to put it is right in front of the radiator, or a/c condensor if you have one. It gets the maximum air flow, and therefore, maximum cooling efficiency. The worst place is under the hood. That's where the poorest air flow is along with all the heat of the engine. Under the car behind the bumper and back a bit is nowhere as efficient as in front, but better than under the hood. It's said that a grille mounted cooler can keep the trans up to 30 degrees cooler than without one. That equates to a much longer life expectancy of the trans as heat is the number one killer of automatic transmissions. Oh yeah, as to cooler size, bigger is better.....more cooling coils equals even better efficiency.

4. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Wes, thanks for the input. I did mount it in FRONT of the battery tray (bettery in trunk). I fiqured it would get the same airplow as the radiator without restricting the radiator flow. Sure is a ot of hoses down there where it use to be simple! But, with a higher stall I want to protect the tranny..As far as size goes I used the B&M Hi Tek cooler. Only 11" x 4" x 1 1/2" but with stacked tubes. Know several people running it with great success Scott

BTW: antone know WHAT temperature a C4 with a 3000 stall "sghould" be running at? Just installed a temp gauge as well

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  5. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Good go. They really do not restrict rad flow. I never noticed a difference in engine temp even under the load of towing. Your size restrictions are a bit more than mine for what I needed one for but any cooler is a good thing especially when you put a load on the transmission. B&M has a good reputation so you should have no problems. They are very simplistic items but they can go bad. My original one lasted only two years before it started leaking and I had to replace it. Guess it wasn't as good quality as I thought it was. It wasn't a B&M.

6. Lightning

Lightning Member

Vehicle:
    1971 comet GT

I think type f fluid starts to burn at 270 or less .