Treating rust on seams

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by MadMark, Nov 17, 2009.

1. MadMark

MadMark Member

Hi all, figured this would be a good place to get some advice on how to treat rust, specifically on seams. My car has a factory undercoating and heavy seam sealer in places. I went over it completely and found about 15 spots with the tell-tail signs of cracks in the sealer and rust staining. I opened each spot with a thin chisel. Luckily, only a few places rusted all the way through. Then I grinded out all the rust I could, cleaned the areas well, applied por-15 metal-ready etcher (let it sit per instructions then wiped it with a wet rag), tomorrow I plan on doing a few coats of por-15.

My question is about treating the seams. I had to pry open a few seams to get at the rust sandwich in between (see first two pictures). So, do I just apply por-15, then close the seam as best I can before it dries ? If I am to close the seam, do I follow it with seam sealer after the por-15 hardens? And if I seal the seams, do I have to use auto seam sealer or will the Quad osi siding or roof sealers I have here do the trick?

By the way, the car is my old saab 9000 turbo "winter beater".
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    As long as you neutralise the rust,it shouldnt be a problem.
    Use automotive seam sealer not roofing tar.If the area is completely sealed after treatment so absolutely no moisture can get in there ever again...You should be fine.
    I say "should be" because to stop the rust properly you really need to remove it.
    Good luck!!!