trim or no trim???

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by NJ_Maverick, Apr 14, 2004.

1. NJ_Maverick

NJ_Maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 2 Dr. Maverick
    I have a 72 coupe and I am going to be starting on the body soon and I am not sure if I should get rid of the delux trim or not. There are a couple of places where it is coming undone but not that bad. I know I am going to have to pull it off to do it right but I am not sure what I am going to do with all the holes in the body from where it is attached. I plan on going out this weekend on a hunt for a new fender and I am not too sure if I should try to narrow my search with the trim or not.
    Does anyone have any experience with removing this trim and how did you clean the car up? I don't want to get to the end and see the body all painted and clean and have this trim that would ruin it. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    NJ; ditch the trim, looks much better with a smooth body. Good luck, and send pics.

Earl

3. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I have mixed feelings about this. For me it really depends on the overall look you're after with this car. I think the nice thin moulding looks good on a mostly stock-looking car. However, if you plan to go for the resto-mod look, I agree with Earl - smooth is better. I have both and I like each for different reasons.

If your mouldings are coming off in places or are otherwise beat up, it might be wise to remove them from the start. You'll have to weld the holes shut and this assumes that you're up for a total repaint anyway. If not, it's better to leave things as they are until you're ready for paint. Just my opinion.

Sam :)

4. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    I'm with Earl - ditch it. Mine was an LDO and I stripped the trim off. It looks much better without it - I think so, anyway.
    -Corbin

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  5. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Ditch it!!

6. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    If you decide to ditch the trim, you'd obviously have to fill the holes. I had to have this done with a replacement fender when I first restored the Stallion because it was off of an LDO car. Make sure you fill the holes with a welder, not just putty. The putty will sink and even if you end up filling in the holes well, in time the putty shrinks and you'll see divits where the holes were.

Whether you ditch the trim is up to whatever you want the car to look like when it's done. Personally, I'm not crazy about it.

7. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    its funny how when a car is new all the extra trim makes it a deluxe... and is "the better model"

but later on everyone wants to take it off! funny don't you think?

i ditched my LDO moldings on one car.. but keep the other with the LDO becuase its correct to the time period. I also figure there aren't very many LDO left.. just my thoughts.

and as someone meantioned about welding the holes... i agree! weld them!

here what my car looked like when the moldings came off at the body shop.. alot of work

Attached Files:

8. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    read this thread, went outside and ripped the trim off of my car. Never noticed how much better this will make it look. thanks guys.

9. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

I agree, ditch the trim. I think most people like the clean look of the Maverick, shows the it's lines off better! :)

10. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I dont like them but, if you decide to remove them, do it carefully, because sombody will want them, some day. This stuff is not reproduced and very hard to find in decent condition. Help a fellow Maverick buddy out.

11. GreenGrabber971

GreenGrabber971 New Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber Green 2 door 47,000 original miles
    My 71 only had 8.200 original miles on it in 97 when i bought it and had no trim at all on it. Looked good from the start , I've found with other old fords ive had over the years that trim is a good place to rust to start. I say ditch it and go clean.

12. Ford_Motorheads

Ford_Motorheads Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    1961 Falcon, 1967 Ranchero, 1969 Gran Torino GT, 1974 Ranchero GT 1976 Mustang Stallion, 1977 Mustang coupe, 1978 Mach 1, and 2 1978 Cobras
    I agree. :yup: (y)

13. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Sorry People...I don't agree. I tossed the subject around for a couple of years. I really thought I wanted to remove my LDO trim & go with the Comet GT look (decal). When it came down to it, I decided to leave it. Mainly, because everyone was telling me, chrome was in, in the 70's. I'm still going with the GT trim options, but leaving the LDO trim on the car. I think it will break up the color & add to the lines...we'll see with the finished product.

14. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    There is a aftermarket adheisive version of the trim, get that if you want fresh new trim it looks just as good or better than the factory trim.

15. Mav Dude

Mav Dude Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    There is a third option. Most of you guys know about the California Chrome. Refinish crome to look great then powder coat it with a transulcent color. The crome shows through the color mostly black but I've seen red. Never on a Mav though, Mustangs, Monte Carlos and a few Crapmaros.