Trunk Repair

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Hawkco, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    After some nagging health problems for the last four months, I finally got back to work on my '77 Maverick today. Today I finished up a trunk repair project that started when we first took the car apart.

Remember, this car is going to be a driver and not a first class show car. I wanted to repair the trunk of its rust and all the little pin holes contained in that rust without having to do some major metal work. I think I succeeded and have inlcuded a link to a photo album that shows the progress pictures in chronological order.

The first step was clean the trunk and remove all the loose rust. Once the trunk was thoroughly cleaned with various sized wire brushes attached to various size grinders, it was vacuumed and cleaned with acetone.

Next, duct tape was placed on the underneath of the trunk pan wherever there were pin holes (thanks Jamie). One coat of Rust Bullet was applied and allowed to dry.

Fiberglass was then placed over the covered area and saturated with Rust Bullet. I learned of this procedure from a technician at Rust Bullet. He sent me documentation of where someone had completely rebuilt an entire floor pan in a '69 Camaro. He asked that I give him a report of how well this would work because they wanted a few success stories before they advertised the use fiberglass with Rust Bullet.

Another coat of Rust Bullet was applied to the fiberglass after the previous was allowed to dry. We now have a total of three coats of Rust Bullet (3 mil thick each) plus a layer of Fiberglass. After curing, for a few days, we had a very solid trunk pan

The next step was to remove the duct tape from underneath the pan and put a coat of Rust Bullet on the underneath of the trunk. According to their web site, this stuff forms a molecular bond with the metal, literally renewing and strengthening it. We now a very safe and solid trunk for our daily driver.

After sanding the new trunk pan, removing some loose fibers of glass, carefully trying to smooth down a few high places, and cleaning, I applied three coats of Duplicolor spray-on bedliner today. This trunk pan ain't rusting again. I'm going to finish off the trunk by trying one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4649000204&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

unless someone has a better suggestion or reservations about this product, seller, etc.

Here's the link to the trunk repair pictures...

[size=-2]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thehawkco/album?.dir=/75adre2&.src=ph&.tok=pha9AqFBRVed7BSp[/size]

I'd like to give a big thank you to Earl and Jamie for all their help on this project. I don't think I could've done it without them.

2. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Turned out nice!

3. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

looks nice,(y) .......now you have a secure place for your trunk monkey should you decided to go with that option :D

4. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Jamie said that no matter how nice that trunk was, he wasn't going ride in it.:huh:

5. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

:lolup: :biglaugh: :rofl2: :D

6. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    :lolup: :rofl2: :biglaugh:

That trunk is solid as a rock. I don't think there is going to be rust problems on that car ever again, that's for sure.. I can't wait to get that interior in! I got to sit in one of the front seats today, puts the seats in our Lincoln LS to shame!

7. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    looks good.

8. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    That'll work, Terry. Looks nice!

9. hotrod-daddy

hotrod-daddy Member

Vehicle:
    a 1971 Grabber with a 302/351
    Looking great Terry(y)

10. |MaverickMat|

|MaverickMat| '74 Grabber

Vehicle:
    1974 Grabber
    Actually Terry, I bought that exact same trunk liner for my Mav. I got the grey felt cause I was hoping it'd match my interior. It's a pretty good product; I emailed the guy and he sent me a piece of the fabric that he uses to make the liner, so if you're curious, he'd probably send you a chunk. I'm pleased with the liner, it matched up good. Just needs a little glue to hold it down.

11. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Looks damn nice.

12. Allen Small

Allen Small Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber/V8 and 72 V/8 grabber
    Terry,

Been awhile since I posted anything here, but wanted to let you know that you are doing a great job with the car. Your daughter should feel very lucky. Keep up the good work and glad to hear you are doing better.

Allen Small

13. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Looks Great!!!