Trunk Rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Camtemple, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Camtemple

Camtemple Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Hey Everyone, I noticed that my trunk is getting a little rusty, right now its just surface rust in most areas. I've put a new trunk seal on it. so No waters getting in from the lid any longer, also the rear windows been resealed as well and no waters getting in there either. But I have noticed that along the edge of where the trunk meets the body (where the bolts are) gets a lot of dust/dirt and rust, i've cleaned and vacumed it out a couple times but the rust/dirt stuff comes up all the time. Also I noticed that there is a small hole in where the trunk is in set. (hard to explain. But in the top left corner of the gas tank, but not in the gas tank in the sorta part where it goes down. Just need some advice on what it would require and what is the best solution for this problem.

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Take a look at a post I started on a product called RUST BULLET. It is what I would use to stop the rust from popping back up. POR 15 is common too, but Rust Bullet is supposed to be better. You can paint the trunk with trunk spatter after the rust treatment.

You need to plug any holes, patch with fiberglass or welding them. You need to stop all the water leaks too, which it sounds like you did already with the seals.

Check out the old post and pictures here.
    http://www.mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=11670&highlight=rust+bullet