update pics of my Stallion, small bumper conversion progress

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Dan Starnes, May 10, 2003.

1. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Couple of pics of my car as it I am getting closer to seeing how everything fits. The rear has all been mocked up and I took it all apart so I can paint everything and then put it back on. The front is mocked up and I will take that apart so the pieces can be sprayed. I did notch the stone guard and that worked out real sweet. The bumper brackets I will drill holes thru both sides of the frame, then on the inside section I will drill a larger hole to stick the bolt thru have it come out the outboard side of the frame so I can put a nut on it. I will be able to adjust the bumper easily this way. The old huge bumper brackets were easy to take off but one of the nuts on the inside of the frame busted from the frame and I could not get hold of it enuff to remove the bolt. So last nite I got the gas hatchet out and removed the head of the bolt that way. By the way, that gas hatchet sure does a nice job of removing undercoating, though I DO NOT advise you to do it this way!
    The pics show how messy my garage is right now. I am doing the Mav, and the Spoiler beside it is getting a repaint and other odds and ends. My suburban got hit by a tractor trailor a couple weeks ago and I am fixing it as well. 3 major projects at one time, I must be nuts! Friggin garage is messy and it drives me nuts. But I will clean it before I begin painting stuff. Might as well leave it messy while I am doing all this messy prep stuff.
    Dan

2. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    rear shot

3. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Keep us updated!

4. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    That front bumper looks really good up there.

5. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    I mistook the Spoiler for a maverick till I read the post, sure does look like one at a glance in that pic, anyhow, the car looks sweet. I have always liked the stallion paint job.

6. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    What is that black car? Kinda looks like a old vette or camaro. Is it yours?

7. Mavericknutt

Mavericknutt member

Vehicle:
    1971 maverick 2dr m2 front end coil over ladder bar rear suspension 472 ci. C-6 tranny
    Hey Dan do you have any pictures of the cut out the stone guard?? I need to do that stuff to mine as well......and did you ever get your rear disc brakes figured out?? I pretty much have all of my parts now I just need to finish the install I bought all of my parts for $100-$125 I did'nt think that was to bad....

8. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    Here is pic of stonegaurd notched out, it is notched 1.75" from the back edge and as you can see it goes nearly to the mounting hole on one side. The outer side is at the point where the metal starts to roll down. Yes I have the rearend thing pretty well figured out, that is till I go to install everything. I dont have a clear understanding of how I can hook up to the park brake, but will cross that bridge when I come to it. Looks as if the rearend will come to about $2700.00 total, including caltracs and powdercoating.
    Dan

9. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    duh, forgot to post the pic!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    Oh yeah, rudy, the black car is my 79 Z-28. Bought it and came home and turned on the tv. Words going across the bottom of the screen were.....John Lennon has been shot 5 times and has been taken to Bellvue Hospital. Restored the car over the last few years and finished it late last year.
    Dan

11. Will

Will I

Vehicle:
    74 2door - Small bumpers, 5.0 EFI, Tremec 3550, disc brake 8.8,MII front end, boosted
    Hey dan, I'm in the middle of doing the same thing sorta, was wondering if you can tell me where and how you got the locations for the holes for the rear bumper.did you line them up with the holes from the big bumpers? if you have a better pic that would be very awesome!!! thanks!!!!!

12. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    Will,
    I have found the front bumper to be much easier to setup than the rear. What I did with the rear is I took the bumper with the brackets attached and fit it up to the car with the older style qtr ends already installed. Then I took some white rattle can paint and sprayed where the holes for the bumper brackets go thru the car. Dont think that was too good an idea cause I drilled 2 holes that were waaaaaaaay off and now I have to fill them. So I took the 2 end holes, 1 on each side and installed the bumper to the car, thinking I am close, I took the bumper off and removed the brackets, then matched the outer holes on each side that were already drilled and marked the inner holes and drilled them. Dont really know how close I am as I have taken the bumper to be replated. The stock mounting holes for the big bumper cars are nowhere near the correct mounting place for small bumper cars. Another thing is the inner trunk supports will have to be welded in once I am happy with the location of the bumper bracket holes. I will take pics of all this once I get stuff back from the chrome shop and I am also having the bumper brackets powdercoated.
    Dan

13. relic

relic -mavy ridin-

Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick
    sounds harder then i expected.... hmmmm desicions....

14. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I found the front much harder than the rear because I made a mounting plate & welded it inside the frame so It was more stock like. I did the rear just like you did Dan. Dont know why you had so much trouble. The thing I hated about the rear is welding in all those holes the plastic filler panel uses.

15. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Dan...

...do you have your brackets for the rear bumper that are
    welded to the floor of the trunk?

I think that my conversion was a piece of cake, but then
    again I bought an entire car to donate all of the pieces.

Looking back, that was rather extreme, but it was what
    I wanted to do. Also, mine was switched from '74 to '73
    so I didn't have to switch fenders or do any notching as
    the '73 and '74 fenders are the same.

Seth