vinal top q's and a's

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by cometkurt!, Mar 14, 2007.

1. cometkurt!

cometkurt! Member

Vehicle:
    red 74comet 351 windsor ps /db
    how hard is it to remove this kind of vinal top? and fill the holes left behind?:16suspect
    [​IMG]

2. 19BlacK77

19BlacK77 Member

The only holes you should have are the ones where the side trim is at, unless the top has traped moisture and turned your roof into swiss cheese. If I were you, and I wanted the top gone, I would strip it all off (leave the top trim) and paint the top like it still has a vinyl top on it. One of the Haun brothers has a maverick like that and it looks very good.

3. cometkurt!

cometkurt! Member

Vehicle:
    im making a gt clone and the best car i could find has this top so it has to go. good idea thow.

4. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i striped off the kind of vinal top that ends at the top of the rear window. it was pretty easy, youll have to grind off the rivits that held the trim(i havent yet) and remove the glue residue underneath. the drip rail trim also had to be removed alont with the windshield trim to get it all off. seems like all your rust issues will be around the top of the windshield.

wernt there GT's with soft tops? grabbers could have had 'em right?

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Then only (2) HOLES will be at the rear of the trim inside the trunk. You will have several STUDS to grind off the rest of the roof.

6. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    Gotta say that Comet looks sweet from this pict, I hate seeing orginal cars in that shape getting changed, I'd leave that top on and keep that car orig, and find a Comet with no vinyl top to make a clone of, just my opinion,

But to let you know I took my Halo top off to fix moisture problems, and Mine peeled like a banana, but then mine had some issues underneath too.
    Good luck on the project though, Are you keeping body color the same?

7. cometkurt!

cometkurt! Member

Vehicle:
    O i wish that was my comet! its just a pic i put up there for referance. the one im getting is going to get pulled out of a junk yard. its cream colored with a whight top.

8. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Well a hand shake to you :Handshake for saving one from the Junkyard Then!!, thats really cool! :thumbs2:

9. cometkurt!

cometkurt! Member

Vehicle:
    thanks i wish i could save them all! mabee if i win the lottery someday!

10. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Go for it! There's nothin' special about an "original" Maverick. No one loves Mavericks more than I do, but stock ones are boring as hell...

11. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Food for thought, .. there is not much special about a Model T or model A or a 65 Ford Pick up, Who would have thought there would be a Starsky A Maverick and Comet Club? What does a Mint Condition Nash Rambler go for now? Even if they aren't super valuable, they have a certain character and charm in their own right. Myself I think the early 60's Fairlaines with the straight six were kind of boring and I like the modified ones, but I also like when they are kept original. I am the kind of person who really appreciates a very old car that is all original and in good shape. My wife thinks I am nuts when I point out a mint condition 1972 LTD four door driving by, I find the all original cars that no one ever thinks about to be more interesting than Mustangs, or Camaros, or B body Mopars
    Hence, the '74 Comet sitting in my Garage right now. It's like a trip to the past, It's what makes car enthusiasts interesting though, Lots of different tastes, Makes the hobby that much more interesting. If I had the Money I think it would be cool to get the Entire Ford Mercury Lincoln Line-up for '74 for a collection. Bring ON The Big Bumpers, Big loud and gaudy the 70's speaks to the era.. Just like big Tailfins and aircraft enspired lines defined the 50's , Art Deco the 30's,
    Spartan utility, the 20's.. ( for the most part). Restore, Modify, Hot Rod, Resto Mod. Slammed, Pimped, bagged, riced, whatever, we all have one thing in common.. we love cars, and we keep alive the eras that defined, automotive history.

12. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Oops that was supposed to say a Starsky and Hutch Torino club.