Vinyl Dyes

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by lilredneck, Jun 11, 2003.

1. lilredneck

lilredneck Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Has anyone ever used Vinylkote or has anyone had any luck with dying vinyl? I want my saddle brown interior to be black interior. Most of my interior is in really good shape...just saddle brown! I dont want to get the Vinylkote at 120 a container if it is just gonna be a mess! I will eventually reupholster...but for now...that is lots o' cash!
    :(

2. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I've used Plasti Kote brand with success. My panels were tan but dyes black beaytifully and look if they were always black. The trick is to make sure they are very clean first, no residue of any sort. I've been told wiping them down with lacquer thinner first opens the pores and helps adhesion. I haven't tried that yet. Use thin coats because otherwise it'll pool and run. you do not want that. Better several light coats than a few thick ones. That makes for better even coverage.

3. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    it does work, and it does look good, stay away from gloss, as it looks too shiny.

Black maverick interior parts are fairly common, you may want to try hunting as many original black pieces as you can first, as the paint on panels tends to chip and flake off fairly easily.

I have experimented in putting a clear coat over the paint, and it seems to work.

4. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    What about the new Krylon Fusion spray paints? Can anyone comment on their appearance/durability?

5. MKmaverick72

MKmaverick72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302 A/T
    www.californiamustang.com has paints and vinyl dyes that match all ford colors from 1964-1973. They have a prep agent and dye that works very well. Thoroughly clean the surface, add the prep agent, then spray the dye. It's the next best thing to original black.