Vinyl Top Paint/Sealer

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Andysutt, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I was talking to Old guy the other day about painting the vinyl top on my mustang. He said they make a sealer/paint for it, but I have not been able to find it here locally like he did years back.
    ANyone know of a good brand, and where to get it at?

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    What you are looking for is not so much a paint, but a dye. SEM makes dyes that are just for vinyl , including vinyl tops. It can be mixed and matched to your top's color if you want to spray it on with an air compressor and a spray gun, or you can buy several cans of it in rattle cans. Most stores that mix and sell automotive paints will also carry the SEM line of vinyl and plastic dyes. We get our SEM products from Car Quest. NAPA should also carry them.

3. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Im not so much worried about dying it as getting it to seal.
    People have told me it will seal the cracks in it and not let it get thru to the actual roof and let it rust out.
    Know anything about this?

4. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Well, i got some dye today, couldnt find a sealer

It came out ok considering i put the first couple coats on it in the dark. lol

got a little bit of cleanup to do because of a run.

But not to bad looking i dont guess

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  5. Speedy

Speedy Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT
    I know you are trying to save what you have and make it look it's best, but just recently I had a new vinyl top put on my car. It was $300 bucks out the door. I paid half down, waited a few weeks to save the balance then took it in to have the top put on. I've been working on the car for a couple years now and prepping it for new paint. Nothing I have done so far has made the car look so good as the new top. Even in primer, the vinyl top gave the car a new look to it. You will like it so much. In prep, I scraped off the old top and glue, then sealed the top with por-15. While there were only a couple of minor sized spots of rust starting to form under the old top, the por-15 pretty much guarentees you will never have a rust issue under the top. New vinyl rocks...
    Dave

6. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Thats not bad for a new top.

I'm not fond of vinyl tops on these cars.
    If I was going to scrape it off and remove the glue, I was going to go ahead and finish the top and just paint it.
    I wasn't sure if the roof was finished however. Seems like there might be a gap between the window trim and the roof and pillars once its removed and not sure if they used the same trim on vinyl and non-vinyl roof cars