Vinyl Top Paint?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Static, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Static

Static Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 2 Door
    My vinyl top is on its way out. It has a bunch of small cracks and now rust stains are starting to become visible since its a white top. I would like to paint it in effort to seal it up and make it look acceptable for a few more years before the car gets completely redone. I used to have a 78 Mercury and in the mid 90s I used a product and it was a vinyl top dressing of sorts that was pretty much like white paint. It took care of all the cracking and I did it every couple of years. It brushed it on but I cant seem to remember what it was. Anyone ever painted theirs? Anyone have any recommendations on what to use?

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    You need to do something permanent or your metal top will start to rust under the vinyl.

3. Static

Static Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 2 Door
    Yeah I would just like to seal it up for now to prevent moisture from getting in there. I plan to strip off the vinyl and just refinish the roof and paint it gloss white and put the trim back on. Not in the budget for a few years tho.

4. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    The roof is allready rusting...Hence the rust stains. You would have to dry it all out completely before sealing/painting the vinyl top...Best bet, remove the top now and hope you dont allready have rust through on the roof skin. Prep it, treat it, and roll some paint on it till you are ready to do it right.

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ...:yup:...

6. Rayell

Rayell Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick, 1963 Falcon Ranchero, 1993 Ford Ranger, 2000 Ford Taurus
    I agree with Frank and Mavman, Stop when is first noticed

7. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    While I certainly agree that it's best to stop rust early on whenever possible.. some folks should keep in mind that not everyone has time to open that can of worms.

In the past.. I've just used plastic filler(preferably NOT the lightweight stuff) to finger fill the larger cracks that paint won't bridge. All you need do is finger fill the putty into the larger cracks and wipe it with solvent(lacquer thinner or acetone works well).. before it gets too firm and makes cleanup of surrounding areas more difficult.

Then just roll on some cheap 2 part epoxy or acrylic paint(cheaper, maintains flexibility longer, and dries quicker too).. to buy you plenty of time till you're ready to strip it down and do it up right. (y)

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    How much do you have to worry about rust in Arizona?

9. Static

Static Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 2 Door
    This is me. I know its a can of worms. We don't have to worry about much rust here in Arizona, hell it barely rains here. I Just want to seal these cracks up to keep further water from getting in until I got time and $ to do it right. Honestly I think I'm just going to grab a pint of white latex exterior paint and brush it on.

10. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Well, I'll be.. for once my assumption was right on target.

You wanna know what us painters call cheap latex paint on these low budget jobs? Liquid Caulk.

Here's suggestion based on much experience using that stuff.

Wipe the entire top with acetone or lacquer thinner to promote adhesion and remove contaminants. That will also soften and roughen the Vinyl (is like chemical sanding or etching) and won't hurt adhesion one little bit if done shortly before top coating it either. Then pre-fill the larger cracks, wipe off the excess on surrounding surfaces, and allow it to dry for a few hours before applying a couple of coats to the entire top.

And considering your UV indexes down there.. I would also highly recommend paying the extra few bucks for an acrylic fortified product too. Will help with heat resistance, keep it more flexible, and also improve gloss retention. Good luck with it all.