vinyl top problem

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by igo1090, Feb 7, 2004.

1. igo1090

igo1090 Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 93 tbird tube car
    what's the best way to brighten up a vinyl top. kind of dingy and keeps trying to grow mold. any good suggestions? dark green is color.

2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Kind of double edge sword here. Take a good cleaner to it and scrub it down. Let it dry for a couple days and then use a good vinyl conditioner on it. What really works good is bleach, but old tops wont tolerate the bleach, but that is the best way to stop the mold. The bleach will dry it out and it will start falling apart. Also vinyl conditioner is hard to find anymore, well the kind that is used for vinyl tops. You could use a miriad of products from boot dressing to leather conditioner. Go to a good automotive detail store and check out what they have. Stay away from any silicone type products.
    Dan

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    This may sound odd, but would mink oil or a good quality leather conditioner work on a vinal top? Just wondering.:confused:

4. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    the best thing i have ever run across to clean the vinyl top is the 2000 vinyl polish that is in the green bottle....i recomended to my stepmother when she bought a z-24 convertible with a grungy black top on it. she took the polish and a horse brush (the stiff bristled brush thats made from natural fibers) and scrubbed the top with it and low and behold the top was blue!! it took all the dirt right off of it. much much better than armorall if you ask me.